Chinese Philosophies & Ethical Codes. Bell Work: Who gives our leaders their authority?. Mandate of Heaven. It was understood that Chinese rulers got their authority to rule straight from the gods (Heaven) If things went well… the gods felt the emperor was doing a good job!.
Bell Work: Who gives our leaders their authority?
Kong Fu Zi
551 – 479 B.C.E.
Became a teacher and editor of books.
Involves Human Relationships and Responsibilities
The Fathersets a good example and cares for his children.
The Children must respect and obey the father
The father takes the CREDIT and also the BLAME for his children’s actions
Filial Piety (Respect your elders!)
If the ruler sets a good example and takes care of his people, the people owe the ruler their respect and obedience!
1. Human nature is naturally selfish.
2.Intellectualism and literacy isdiscouraged.
3.Law is the supreme authority andreplaces morality.
4. The ruler must rule with a strong,punishing hand.
1.Dao [Tao] “ the way” Everyone has their special “way” and nobody should tell them what that is.
2. A believer’s goal is to become one with Dao; who you are.
“People should not be told how to act anymore than a fish should be told how to swim.”
3. Man is unhappy because he lives according to man-made laws, customs, & traditions that are contrary to the ways of nature.
Toescape the “social, political, & cultural traps” of life, one must escape by:
1. Rejecting formal knowledge and learning.
2. Relying on the senses and instincts.
3. Discovering the nature and “rhythm” of the universe.
4. Ignoring political and social laws.
Find the Balance!
How is a man to live in a world dominated by chaos, suffering, and absurdity??
Confucianism --> Moral order in society.
Legalism --> Rule by harsh law & order.
Daoism --> Freedom for individuals and less govt. to avoid uniformity and conformity.