AMERICA IN TRANSTION: 1877-@1890. Chapters 5-8. GUIDING QUESTION: “Where are we in 1877, and what shaped and guided us to @1890?. What was the US population in 1877? How much of that total population was immigrant and/or Native American? Where did the majority of people live?
What “images” of cowboys do you have?
What images of “Native Americans” do you have?
What images of “The West” do you have?
Have TV and movies influenced those images? If so, how?
2. Why did settlers continue to move west even after encountering the Native Americans?
For each of the conflicts listed below, provide the following information:
1. increase the supply of money 2. graduated income tax
3. federal loan programs to farmers
4. “popular vote” for senators
5. secret ballot
6. single six-year term for President and VP 7. 8-hour workday in industry
13. Summarize the emergence and growth of unions, and the violent reactions of industry and government to union strikes.
14. Compare and contrast the life of "robber barons" to the laborers that worked for them. Include in your answer a discussion of wages, housing, working conditions, and child labor.