James Madison and the War of 1812. The Drift to War. “War Hawks” Young men from the South and the West. WAR!!! Demanded war against Britain to acquire Canada and against Spain, to acquire Florida. John C. Calhoun of South Carolina. Henry Clay of Kentucky. Causes of the War of 1812.
South and the West.
1. Freedom of the seas.
2. American resentment of Britain.
3. American belief that the Brits in Canada were arming and encouraging the Indians.
4. American ambition to annex Canada and Florida.
Territorial expansion v. maritime rights?
1. Growth of American Nationalism.
2. Strengthening of isolationism.
3. Increase in westward migration.
4. Encouragement of American Industry.
5. Disappearance of the Federalist Party.