Emergency Action & Fire Prevention 29 CFR 1910.38. Are You Prepared?. How would you react to a fire alarm at work? Would you know your role if there was a major chemical spill? What if an earthquake or hurricane struck our community?. Goals. Potential hazards Emergency response
1. Housekeeping is only important because it keeps the facility looking nice. True or False
2. The class A extinguisher is used for putting out combustible metal fires. True or False
3. Name two potential fire hazards in your workspace __________________ and __________________.
4. If someone is on fire, it is best to use an extinguisher on the person. True or False
5. Describe the first two things you should do if you spot a fire: ______________ and ______________.
6. What is the most dangerous habit to have when working with flammable chemicals?
7. To use a fire extinguisher; P ______________, A__________, S___________, S___________.
8. Name the evacuation coordinator and head-count person for your department.
9. Prior to evacuating out the nearest exit, you should _______________________________.
10. Which type of natural disaster is most likely to strike your community, and how are you and your company prepared for it?
1. False. Housekeeping prevents accumulation of materials that may ignite or contribute to a fire.
2. False. Class A is for combustibles like wood or paper. For combustible metals use class D.
3. Flammable liquids, piles of rags or boxes, poor smoking habits, frayed electrical cords, etc.
4. False. Help the person stop, drop, and roll.
5. Notify someone, such as a supervisor, and retrieve fire equipment, such as an extinguisher.
6. Smoking is a very dangerous habit when working with flammable chemicals.
7. Pull the pin, Aim at the base of the fire, Squeeze the trigger, Sweep back and forth.
8. The evacuation coordinator and headcount person for each department are defined in the emergency action plan.
9. Shut down equipment using the emergency stop button.
10. Discuss company and personal plans for responding to natural disasters in your area.