The Syria Conflict. Learning Objectives The Syria Conflict. In this unit of work you will: Compare a set of article about the Syria Conflict which are written from different perspectives. Determine perspective, bias and intention in the articles. Identify the writers style.
In this unit of work you will:
Write down what you understand by the word ‘Journalism’ and what you expect from a journalist.
JOURNALISM:- the occupation of reporting, writing, editing,
photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting
any news organization as a business.
PRINCIPLES OF JOURNALISM
1. JOURNALISM'S FIRST OBLIGATION IS TO THE TRUTH
2. ITS FIRST LOYALTY IS TO CITIZENS
3. ITS ESSENCE IS A DISCIPLINE OF VERIFICATION
4. ITS PRACTITIONERS MUST MAINTAIN AN INDEPENDENCE FROM THOSE THEY COVER
5. IT MUST SERVE AS AN INDEPENDENT MONITOR OF POWER
6. IT MUST PROVIDE A FORUM FOR PUBLIC CRITICISM AND COMPROMISE
7. IT MUST STRIVE TO MAKE THE SIGNIFICANT INTERESTING AND RELEVANT
8. IT MUST KEEP THE NEWS COMPREHENSIVE AND PROPORTIONAL
9. ITS PRACTITIONERS MUST BE ALLOWED TO EXERCISE THEIR PERSONAL CONSCIENCE
With your partners look at the half article you have been allocated and note the following:
At the end of this discussion period one person should report your findings back to the class.
Write a brief outline of your attitude towards the Syria Conflict.
Look again at your article (the whole article this time) and briefly rewrite the article, but from the point of view of one of the subjects fro the other articles.
Ex: Re-telling ‘The War On Childhood’ from the
Syrian governments perspective.
The Fighter’s viewpoint from the International
Wed 7th Nov
Write a researched article of 1000-1500 words about the Syria Conflict. You must include you research notes with your assignment as they will be marked separately. Your finished work should adhere to the 9 Principles of Journalism.