1 / 27

The Lithosphere

The Lithosphere. Unit 1 Part 1. Earth Science. The Scope of Earth Science. The field of Earth Science can be broken into four major areas of specialization: . 1. Astronomy. Astronomers study the universe and everything in it, including Earth.. . 2. Meteorology.

Download Presentation

The Lithosphere

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. Content is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only. Download presentation by click this link. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server. During download, if you can't get a presentation, the file might be deleted by the publisher.


Presentation Transcript

  1. The Lithosphere Unit 1 Part 1

  2. Earth Science

  3. The Scope of Earth Science • The field of Earth Science can be broken into four major areas of specialization: 1. Astronomy • Astronomers study the universe and everything in it, including Earth.. 2. Meteorology • Meteorologists study the forces and processes that cause the atmosphere to change to produce weather. • They also try to predict the weather.

  4. The Scope of Earth Science 3.Geology • Geologists identify rocks, study glacial movements, interpret clues to Earth’s 4.6 billion-year history, and determine how forces change our planet, among many other things. 4. Oceanography • Oceanographers study the creatures and measure different physical and chemical properties of the oceans.

  5. Scientists who study Earth have identified four main Earth systems:

  6. 1. The Lithosphere • Includes the crust, continental crust and oceanic crust as well as the upper part of the mantle. 2. The Hydrosphere • About 97 percent of Earth’s water exists as salt water; the remaining 3 percent is freshwater contained in glaciers, in lakes and rivers, and beneath Earth’s surface as groundwater.

  7. Earth’s Systems 3.The Atmosphere • Earth’s atmosphere is necessary for respiration by most living things, protects Earth’s inhabitants from harmful radiation from the Sun, and helps to keep the planet at a temperature suitable for life. 4. The Biosphere • Includes all organisms on Earth as well as the environments in which they live.

  8. Example of Sphere Interactions • Humans (biosphere) built a dam out of rock materials (lithosphere). • Water in the lake (hydrosphere) seeps into the cliff walls behind the dam, becoming groundwater (lithosphere), or evaporating into the air (atmosphere). • Humans (biosphere) harness energy from the water (hydrosphere) by having it spin turbines (lithosphere, because the turbines come from metal ores in the ground) to produce electricity.

  9. Weathering Earth/Environmental Science Ms. Frank

  10. Weathering • Break up of rock due to exposure to the atmosphere • Surface Area Amount of surface exposed. • surface area, speed of weathering

  11. Weathering • Physical (mechanical) Weathering – rock broken into smaller pieces • composition doesn’t change • The 4 main types are………..

  12. facweb.bhc.edu/.../ Geog102/study/phyweath.htm

  13. 1. Frost Wedging - freezing and thawing of water causes the rock to crack.

  14. Physical Weathering • 2. Exfoliation rock layers get stripped away due to pressure. • Dome shaped

  15. 3. Thermal Expansion- • The daily changes in temperatures cause the rock to expand when hot and shrink when cold. • Occurs in deserts.

  16. 4. Organic Activity- The activities of living things that speed up the weathering process. http://facweb.bhc.edu/academics/science/harwoodr/GEOL101/Study/Images/D044-254.jpg

  17. Chemical Weathering • Chemical Weathering – rock’s minerals are changed into different substance (Chemical Reaction) • Needs HEAT and WATER in order to occur. • 3 examples of chemical weathering

  18. 1. Oxidation– Oxygen added to some elements in rocks form oxides. • Example is rust www.stmarys.ca/.../ pubweather/chemcombined.html

  19. 2. Carbonic acid Carbon dioxide and water forms carbonic acid, which dissolves limestone.

  20. 3. Water/ Rain Known as the universal solvent.

  21. Factors that effect the Rate of Weathering • Resistance • Some rocks are more resistant than others • Surface Area • Climate • Cold, Dry favors mechanical • Warm, Moist favors chemical

  22. Let’s test ourselves • Take out a piece of paper and label 1-5.

  23. 1. Limestone statue

  24. 2.

  25. 3.

  26. 4.

  27. 5.

More Related