Antigone. Analysis of Sophocles’ Greek tragedy. The protagonist. Antigone? Title character Begins the action Anarchist Other arguments? Creon? Experiences each stage of the tragic hero Attention at the end of the play is on Creon Other arguments?. Elements of a tragedy.
Analysis of Sophocles’ Greek tragedy
“Tragedy is ‘an imitation of an action that is serious, complete, and of a certain magnitude; in language embellished with each kind of artistic ornament;…in the form of a drama, not of narrative; through pity and fear effecting the proper purgation of these emotions’”(1065).
1. Characters must be royal or aristocratic.
2. The subject matter must be elevated.
3. Lofty vocabulary and poetic devices are necessary for tragedies (1068).
4. A tragedy must be acted out rather than told.
5. Tragedy leads to catharsis.