“Making A-G Real” Student Support Systems. Building Improvement in Our Education Oakland Unified School District Meaningful Student Engagement Collaborative. Who We Are.
Building Improvement in Our Education
Oakland Unified School District
Meaningful Student Engagement Collaborative
ALL CITY COUNCIL Student Leaders
& School Site Leadership Classes
MSE Community Collaborative:
Youth Together, AYPAL, CFJ, AIWA, EBAYC, Ed Trust West, Leadership Excellence,
Youth Alive, Kids First
DA TOWN RESEARCHERS
Oakland Unified School District Student Evaluation Team
Overall, students feel that they need more emotional support in schools in order to reach their goals.
· 45% students do not feel emotionally supported in school most of the time.
· 47% students are highly or very highly stressed at school.
· 60% students feel that their personal problems interrupt their focus in school.
· 74% students feel more emotional and life support will help them achieve in school.
· 81% students feel that if staff took more time to know them, they would feel more supported.
Over 1/3 of students do not feel supported by their administrators; they feel like school administrators are never around, don’t care, and only enforce discipline.
Most of the students don’t have a good relationship with their counselor or do not have one, even though students feel they need counseling to reach their goals.
Sub-Finding: A large percent of students feel they do not have enough information to help them to graduate and go to college.
· 57% of students say they do not have a good relationship with or do not have a counselor.
· 47% of Latino students feel that they do not have enough
information to graduate and go to college, whereas 72% of White students feel they do.
1) OUSD alumni through college partnerships to mentor students for college preparation.
2) Advisory class system to support students in school.
3) Peer-to-peer academic and college support.
4) Community volunteers and mentors for life and career preparation.
A large population of students feel like they can't trust most of their teachers, and that the majority of teachers don't care about them or their life in and outside of school.
Students do not feel like their broader community supports them in reaching their goals.