New England Colonies. 1620 - 1700. Themes. Motivations for traveling; religion was important Early histories and life in Plymouth Colony and Massachusetts Bay Colony New England society Interaction between Native Americans and colonists in New England. Major Religions in Europe (1560).
1620 - 1700
- When we establish a colony, it will be governed by the rule of law and not the individual
- Rhode Island, Connecticut, Salem, Boston
Outlined the Goals of Puritan Settlers
- Required church attendance; also prohibited drunkenness, card playing, public kissing, etc.
- every moment that you are awake do what is necessary
- don’t waste money and buy expensive things be humble and save money
- Treat your job as if it were your family
- A system that everyone has to abide to
- From about 125,000 in 1600 to 10,000 in 1675
1. accusation atomically meant guilty verdict
2. Guilty verdict meant execution
3. To avoid execution, a confession was needed
- Dissenters had previously been dealt with harshly
- Witches interfered with success of Puritans