Violence and Extremism. Lynn Davies Centre for International Education & Research . Educating Against Extremism. Trentham, 2008 Nature of extremism Identity, joining and leaving Segregation, faith schools Justice, revenge and honour Free speech, offence and humour
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Answer to extremism is not ‘moderation’, but a highly critical and informed idealism. This needs 5 types of criticality in education :
1. political education including conflict studies, comparative religion, non-nationalistic citizenship education - critical scholarship
2. Understanding of rights and responsibilities -critical (dis)respect
3. Skills to weigh up alternative ideals and means to pursue them – critical thinking
4. The acceptance that ideals should be provisional – critical doubt
5. The acceptance that ideals and their holders may be mocked – critical lightness
Following the attack, the Iraqi Information Minister has summoned all Saddam’s body doubles to a meeting to tell them:
‘The good news is that our beloved leader has survived, so you all still have jobs. The bad news is that he has lost an arm’.