Ocean and Coastal Processes. The Origin of Earth’s Water. Magma. Most water came from \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ originating deep within Earth’s molten interior. 2. Some water could have come from \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_ (dirty snowballs) from outer space. Outgassing. Comets. Sources of salts. 96.5. \_\_\_\_\_ \% Water
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
_____ % Water
_____ & Salts
Seawater is ________ dense than pure water.
Ocean Currents: ESRT page 4
1. According to The Earth Science Reference Tables, which location has a coastal climate that is generally made warmer by the influence of a nearby ocean current?
(1) Southern California
(2) Peru in South America
(3) Brazil in South America
(4) Northwestern Africa near the Canary Islands
2. The Canaries Current along the west coast of Africa and the Peru Current along the west coast of South America are both
(1) warm currents that flow away from the equator
(2) warm currents that flow toward the equator
(3) cool currents that flow away from the equator
(4) cool currents that flow toward the equator
3. Warm water from tropical oceans is carried to northern Europe by the Gulf Stream and the
(1) Alaska Current
(2) Canaries Current
(3) North Atlantic Current
(4) Brazil Current
(1) Labrador Current
(2) Falkland Current
(3) Kuroshio Current
(4) Peru Current
5. Most surface ocean currents in the northern and southern hemisphere do not curve in the same direction. Describe the direction in which most surface ocean currents curve in the Northern Hemisphere.
It takes water a long time to heat up and cool down because of its high specific heat capacity.
1. Equal masses of granite, iron, basalt, and liquid water are at room temperature. Each substance then absorbs then same amount of additional heat energy. Assuming no phase change, which substance would change least in temperature?
4. liquid water
2. Pieces of lead, copper, iron, and granite, each having a mass of 1 kilogram and a temperature of 100°C, were removed from a container of boiling water and allowed to cool under identical conditions. Which piece most likely cooled to room temperature first?
Alaskan current causes the climate to be warmer.
England is affected by the warm North Atlantic Current
6. ______________ occurs when the Earth, Moon and Sun are at a ______ angle.
Rivers & streams
1. Waves that erode the shore of Lake Ontario are caused primarily by
1. the rotation of the Earth
2. differences in temperature of lake water along the shore
3. winds blowing over the lake surface
4. density variations within the lake
Which statement best describes the longshore current that is modifying this coastline?
1. The current is flowing northward at a right angle to the shoreline.
2. The current is flowing southward at a right angle away from the shoreline.
3. The current is flowing eastward parallel to the shoreline.
4. The current is flowing westward parallel to the shoreline.
After the formation of the baymouth bar, the jetty (a structure of rocks that extends into the water) labeled A was constructed perpendicular to the shoreline. Which statement best describes the result of the construction of this jetty?
1. Water current velocity at location B decreased.
2. Water current velocity at location B increased.
3. Sand deposition at location B decreased.
4. Sand deposition was not affected.