Settling the Middle Colonies. Competition A Holy Experiment A Refuge From Persecution. New Netherland. European Competition - Dutch pursue fur trade w/Natives, like French Dutch Government’s - West India Trading Company vs.
A Holy Experiment
A Refuge From Persecution
- Dutch pursue fur trade w/Natives, like French
Dutch Government’s - West India Trading Company
French, Company of One Hundred Associates
- Fort Orange (Albany) to New Amsterdam (New York)
- Native allies were Iroquois – French allied with Algonquin (Abenaki, Huron)
- Slave trade brought more Africans as both slaves and indentured servants
- Religious tolerance brought other Europeans ( Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Germans, Scandanavians)
Peter Stuyvesant – Last Dutch
Governor of New Amsterdam
when British took over.
Peter Minuet – Bought Manhattan for $24 in beads.
Trial of John Peter Zenger
1st time Freedom of the Press was protected by law.
Know are all Dutch!
Why did the Dutch think it was important to settle up and down the Hudson River?
William Penn owned Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware; as the proprietor, he was the largest private American landowner, ever.
He got the territory from King CharlesII of England in return for a debt owed to his father.
Quakers in Pennsylvania