Digestive System pg 240-280. Process of breaking down food so its small enough to absorb Digestive Tract (alimentary canal) Open ended, mostly one way tube Approximately 6 ½ - 9 m long in an adult Consists of accessory glands that secrete digestive juices as well 4 stages
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Add the structures of the digestive system to Digestive Dave(pg 259)
Animal fat vs Plant oil
Describe the chemical and physical processing of matter through the digestive system.
Food storage and initial protein digestion
Food does not pass through the pancreas but it works closely with the small intestine to help it digest food
1. SECRETIN- converted from prosecretin this chemical travels via the bloodstream to the pancreas to promote release of pancreatic fluid
4. EREPSIN- this protein digesting enzyme breaks short chain polypeptides into amino acids
6.DISACCARDIESASES (e.g. maltase, surceases, lactases)- finish the what the mouth and pancreas started and breaks disaccharides (lactose, maltose, sucrose) into monosaccharide (glucose, fructose, galactose)
SECRETIN arrives via the blood stream from the small intestine and stimulates the pancreas to release pancreatic fluid
5. PANCREATIC AMYLASE- continues the mouths digestion of mid size sugar chains and breaks them down to disaccharides
2. BICARBONATE IONS (HCO3)- neutralize the acid from the stomach
3. TRYPSINOGEN- protein digesting enzyme that is converted to TRYPSIN to finish what the stomach started and gets protein from long polypeptides to short polypeptides
7. LIPASE – enzymes that break down lipids