Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
International publications in Sociology: what can we do (better)? Jaak Billiet CeSO & Central Coordination of ESS PhD seminar Dec. 1 - 2008. outline. Introduction: the background Why are international publications important? Different perspectives + criteria for assessment
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
CeSO& Central Coordination of ESS
PhD seminar Dec. 1 - 2008
For some general principles see: Billiet et al…(2005). Bibliometrie in de humane wetenschappen, Vlaamse Koninklijke Academie van België voor Wetenschappen en Kunsten, Brussel, 38 pp.
continued research position inside or outside university
Minimal: at least one proof of peer reviewed international publication as a first author (often much stricter criteria because of concurrence)
2. Choice of a journal: each time before writing final text a discussion about the journal, more alternatives + choose highest rated journal but be realistic why? You learn most from the reviewers reports in view of resubmission or even rejection
3. At long term: choice for a high rated journal with risk of “serious corrections and new submission” is (mostly) preferable over easy publishing in low rated journal. Why? You can learn a lot from the comments of experts in the field who reviewed your paper,go down later to lower rated journal… rated? At base of impact factors
Lesson learned: check always whether editor has received the copy!!!
Situation is improved because of internet advanced access
5. Evolution during PhD careerpublishing in international peer reviewed journalsstart as co-author of journal articles or book chapters with supervisor in 3th-4th year and learn from experience, in 4th-5th take initiative but still in cooperation
Transform conference papers into pubs in journals or books
problem = at same time finishing PhD thesis
depending of plans and sub-discipline do not forget to publish for own society in Dutch
6. Follow training in academic publishingsome papers that I receive for publication are ofter very badly written, not very well structured, too many issuesalways (in empirical papers):
- 1 or at least couple of questions you will solve in the paper
- short state of the art = theoretical part
- session about the data and measurements
- results session
- conclusion and discussion