Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Empowering consumers: African Dialogue conf. Malawi Sep. 2014
CPA provides a package of endeavors to help empower consumers : 1. A new CPL is drafted 2. Fighting misleading advertisements 3. Awareness campaigns 4. A Media Monitoring Center is set 5. Market Surveillance 5. Coordination with NGOs 6. Coordination with the media
1. A new CPL is drafted to empower consumers • The CPA has succeeded to draft a new consumer protection law that we have worked on for two years with the Twinning European legal experts. • The amended Consumer Protection Law and Executive Regulations, come in line with EU consumer rights legislation, but adjusted to Egyptian needs
The int. 3 New rights are added to the drafted law • The new three consumer rights discussed at Consumer Protection organizations and proposed to the UNCTAD are added to the drafted new CPL: • The right to be protected while using distance sales. • The right to be protected while using financial services. • The right to be protected while using international/cross border sales as per the CP international agreements.
2. Fighting misleading advertisements • The CPA has succeeded to draft a new consumer protection law that we have worked on for two years with the Twinning European legal experts. • The amended Consumer Protection Law and Executive Regulations, come in line with EU consumer rights legislation, but adjusted to Egyptian needs
Updated regulations to protect consumers of misleading advertisements • The Supplier or the Advertiser shall not take any act of injustice against a consumer or damage personal dignity, religious values, traditions or public order while advertising for goods or services. • The Supplier shall comply with the regulations of health, safety and quality set for products and services, and shall offer the products at a fair and competitive price.
Advertisement may not be carried out on any Product except after obtaining a license from the competent authority confirming that the product comply with the Egyptian standards. • The Consumer Protection Agency shall grant license for contests with prizes.
CPA fights misleading & indecent advertisements Misleading ads have spread in the market during the last 3 years claiming treatment of diseases and forging the license of the Ministry of Health . Other ads claim that some products strengthen the immune system and improve the performance of the joints and increase milk production and cure digestive problems. CPA tested some of the advertised products and found out that they endanger health and safety of the consumers. Some ads have sexual explicit or sexual inclinations , and are being aired at high viewing hours when children are watching.
3. Awareness campaigns • CPA launched a campaign in Dec 2013 and Jan 2014 to raise public awareness of misleading adevrtisments and fraud trade activities. Videos and brochures are used • TV programs and newspapers were addressed.
4. A Media Monitoring Center is set in place For CPA to take legal action against misleading advertisements and involved businesses, a dated recording of the TV adds or printed materials should be sent to the District Attorney to file a case. A media Monitor center is launched at CPA on the 25th of March, 2014 at the presence of the Minister of Supply and Internal Trade
5. Market Surveillance • CPA launches regular market surveillance and inspection campaigns to seize and report the forged brand names and disqualified products in the market.
5. Coordination with NGOs • CPA constantly works on building the capacities of CP NGOs and the following actions were diligently taken during the last 2 years: • NGOs have been trained on: • Organizational structure of NGOs • Consumer Advice Centers • Networking mechanisms on regional and local levels • Fundraising techniques. • NGOs are provided with brochures and information that could be disseminated at their communities to help raise public awareness and empower consumers.
6. Coordination with the media • CPA’s media department coordinates with journalists & media to channel needed information to consumers. • Some local and satellite TV channels air the CP videos to help foster the consumers’ rights into the Egyptian culture. • CPA leaders are frequent guests at TV talk shows and programs to discuss CP rights and market issues.
6. Adding CP education to school curricula • CPA coordinates with the Ministry of Education to add consumer rights and policies to primary and middle school curricula. • CPA provides the needed materials to prepare simplified and interactive education