IN * no, na, em, dentro de • cidades • estados • países • continentes • meses • estações • anos • séculos • períodos do dia • [ morning, afternoon, • evening] The TV set is inthe box. She livesinSeattle. He works inIllinois. They study inBrazil. The show will beinEurope. They will leaveinMarch. My vacation will be inthe Spring. He was bornin1959. She died inthe nineteenth century. You walk inthe morning. I teach Englishinthe afternoon. He goes to the movies inthe evening.
* no, na, em, sobre ON • dias de semana • dia e mês • só o dia • ruas (semnúmero), avenidas e praças • estradas, rios, lagos, costa, sobre superfícies e fronteiras • He studies Frenchon Mondays and Fridays. • She was born on April 15th. • They live on Sunflower street. • We live onMadison avenue. • The show will be onWashington square. • They are sailing onthe Mississipi river.
Casos especiais on the(a) plane onthe(a) ship onthe(a) train onthe(a) boat onthe(a) bus on the(a) desert island on the(a) farm onthe(a) beach onpage three ontelevision onthe radio on the third floor in bed in the (a) car inthe (a) truck inthe (a) taxi
* no, na, em, junto a, posição em um ponto AT Bill is at the bus station. Paul isat that table. Please! Sitat this desk. The boy isat the door. Tom was at the volley ball game . Lucy was ather mother'slast night. She bought her hat atMonica's . They live at 65 Sunflower street. They live on Sunflower street at number 65. The show will be at 8 o'clock. They will arrive atChristmas. He left the navy at the age of 29. • lugares públicos • posições • atividades de grupo (jogos) • casas, lojas • endereço(ruaenúmero) • só número da casa • horas • festividades • idade
Expressões com "at" At first (no princípio) Atlast (finalmente) At once (imediatamente) At times (às vezes) Athome (em casa) Atleast (pelo menos) At night (à noite) At noon (ao meio dia) Atmidnight (à meia noite)
* no, na , sobre (posição superior) OVER The bird is flying over those trees. (está voando acima daquelas arvores) The lamp is overthat table. (está acima da mesa) INTO * para dentro I put the letterinto the envelope. She got into the classroom.
IN FRONT OF * em frente de The car is in front of the store. She was in front of my daughter. The church is in front of the City Hall. BEHIND * atrás de The tree is behind the building. The cat is behindthe door. Stay behind me.
ONTO * para cima (movimento) The cat jumped onto the table. (pulou para cima da mesa) *além de BEYOND This is beyond my control. She is beyondthe border. * durante DURING Do you play tennis during the week?
UP *para cima An elevator goes up and down. DOWN *para baixo An elevator goesup and down.
* ao lado de BESIDE Those books are besidethe radio. Peter is beside my brother. ABOVE * acima de Peter’s name was written abovemy name. Above us only the sky. * abaixo de BELOW Belowus at our left there was a big river. His name was there below the others.
*através de, do outro lado ACROSS My brother swam across the river yesterday. There is a libraryacrossthe street. *entre dois BETWEEN Marta is sitting between Paul and Peter. She put the document between two books. *entre vários AMONG There is a strangeramongus. We are among friends.
*ao longo ALONG My father was walking along the street. He is sailing alongthe river. BEFORE *antes Beforesix o’clock he will be here. I will arrive before midnight. *após AFTER I will be there after 4 o’clock. “Dayafter day” is a beautiful song.
* para (destino) TO She went toLondon. The manager will travel to Canada. FROM * de(procedência,separação) We are from abroad. (procedência) He left fromParis and flew to Chicago. (procedência) Cut two meters from this piece. (separação) *desde SINCE I have been working heresince1984. She is waiting for you since three o’clock.
* por, pelo, de BY This film was directed bySidney Lumet. That book was written byJohn Updike. They went to the concert bybus. * de (posse) OF The door of the car. The car ofmy brother. ABOUT * sobre, a respeito de They’ll talk about anything. The lecture is about Ecology.
UNDER * embaixo de The dog is under the table. BENEATH * embaixo de The dog is beneath the table. UNDERNEATH * embaixo de The dog is underneath the table.
WITH * com Caroline is withMargaret. A leg of lamb served with potatoes. OUT * fora Her husband was out in Africa. The resort is about twenty miles out of town. WITHOUT * sem A citywithouthistory. They drove into town without talking to each other.
* perto de NEAR I stood very near to them. These things will be available to us in the verynear future. * até (relativo à tempo) TILL, UNTIL ( She waited until he had gone. They didn’t find her till the next day. * através THROUGH Go straight through that door and then turn right. Through him, I was introduced to several high-up people.
CONCERNING * referente a He refused to answer questions concerning his private life. I wrote to the head of the firm concerning Robert. *para (favor, benefício, propósito, fim, intenção) *por (duração de tempo) FOR I brought this present foryou. He has comefor participating.(finalidade) Ink forwriting. (finalidade) For your love. (causa ou amor de) This car is for the best son. (recompensa) I have been working here forten years. (duração de tempo) I stayed there for a long time. (duração de tempo)
Complete with "in" , "on" or "at" the sentences below. a)She goes to school______Saturdays. b)My friends used to study_____night. c)Her parents came to see her____11 o'clock____the morning. d)They usually leave the city _______ Christmas. e)Your dinner will be ready______fifteen minutes. f)______Octobershe will be studying in that school. g)Her sister wears light clothes _____the Summer. h)The managers want to be at that restaurant_______noon. i)We received his letter _____June 17, 1994. j)The principal was ______the endof his patience. on at at in at in In in at on at
Complete the sentences below with the correct preposition. a)The office hours are________8______6. b)The trip will be_______Rio____ Campos____car. c)The picture is _______the wall _________ the sofa. d)Your cousin is a friend______mine. e)The play was directed ______Franco Zefirelli. f)The children’s shoes are________the sofa.(embaixo) g)The restaurant is____________the church. (em frente de) h)Her father is ____________my cousin. (ao lado) i)Please! Stay__________me. (atrás) j)My sister went ______Canada. k)Rewrite the sentences ______ (abaixo) l)Answer all the questions________ . (acima) m)Our relatives are waiting for us _____ the bus station. n)The orchestra will be conducted_______Von Karayan. o)Where are you ______? from to from to by on above of by under in front of beside behind to below above at by from