190 likes | 514 Views
Haiti. By Nikhil Khanna. Location. Haiti is located in the Caribbean on the island of Hispaniola. People. Haiti’s population is approximately 9,720,000 . Of those people 95% are purely of African descent the remaining 5% are mainly white or mulatto.
E N D
Haiti By Nikhil Khanna
Location Haiti is located in the Caribbean on the island of Hispaniola
People Haiti’s population is approximately 9,720,000 Of those people 95% are purely of African descent the remaining 5% are mainly white or mulatto 35.9% of the population are less than 14 years old, 60.1% are between 14 and 64 years old and the remaining 3% are older than 65 years old
Language The two main languages in Haiti are French and Haitian Creole(A mix of French vocabulary with West African grammar.
Economics For the most part Haiti is a very poor country 40.6% of the population is unemployed There is a huge income disparity as it is ranked 7thin the world by the GINI Index It’s GINI Index is 59.2. As a result of this 76% of people are living below the poverty line. Haiti’s economy is actually shrinking because its economic growth rate is -4.8%
Important Industries 3 of Haiti’s most important industries are… Textiles Sugar Refining Flour Milling
Government Haiti gained impendence from France in 1804 Haiti is a Republic
Important Historical Events 1806- Jean Jacques Dessalines, the self proclaimed ruler of Haiti is assassinated. Haiti is split between the black controlled north and mulatto ruled south. 1956-Francois Duvalier seizes power in a military coup and declares himself dictator for life 1990- Jean-Bertrand Aristide is elected president Haiti’s first free election; Haiti becomes a Republic.
Important Historical Figure Francois-Dominique Toussaint Louverture was the leader of the Haitian Revolution. He grew up in a slave and when the revolution began to erupt he became a part of it. He quickly became the central military leader and was central to the revolution until he was forced to resign and deported to France in 1802. He died in 1803 one year before Haiti became independent.
Current Issues A cholera outbreak has recently occurred in Haiti primarily due to the poor sanitation and worse living conditions after the earthquake. The 2010 earthquake in Haiti left the capital of Port-au-Prince in ruins. Many who were already poor before the earthquake are left homeless. Politics in Haiti has been a mess. Ever since the quake the presidential election got horribly delayed and even now there is still much confusion in large part due to the earthquake.
Voodoo Many Haitian people practice the religion of Voodoo. This religion plays a huge part in Haitian culture and inspires many songs, dances, and clothing.
Relations With the U.S. Haiti and the U.S. have recently had very friendly relations. The U.S. has worked to improve the quality of life in Haiti and provided supplies to many people after the earthquake. 67% of Haitians in a recent poll said that given the opportunity they would emigrate to the U.S.
Resources Used • http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?q=haiti&d=PopDiv&f=variableID%3a12%3bcrID%3a332 • https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ • http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1202857.stm • http://journal.thelouvertureproject.org/archives/list-of-famous-people-of-haitian-descent/ • http://www.haitisupportgroup.org/ • http://lifeconnectionmission.org/haitimap.html • http://www.galenfrysinger.com/jean-bertrand_aristide.htm