Unit 5 Extensive Reading
Revision:questions 1.What did the earliest people use fire for? They used fire to keep them warm, cook the food and scare the animals. 2.Which of the following shows us the earliest people and the modern people have something in common? • People hung animal skins to keep out the cold B. People never grew their own crops C. People use science D. People care about their appearance
3. What can we infer from the sentences--- “This one looks very like a fish bone. Is it reasonable? ---Yes indeed, as the botanical analyses have been specifically showing us, all the fields around here used to be part of a large shallow lake. Undoubtedly there were fish swimming in it.”? A. Being an archaeologist needs a wide range of knowledge. B. A lake is not the sea. C. People can identify the fish by the colour. D. A fish bone can be made into a necklace.
Pre-reading 1.When will we have a feast? Usually at festivals 2. How do we feel when we have a feast? Happy and lucky 3.What do we do to prepare for our feast? Food ,fruit ,decorations and so on. 4.Besides having a dinner together, what will we do when we have a feast? Enjoy the family reunion.
Listen to the tape an d read the text together and try to find the sameness and difference between the ancient people and modern people when they have a feast.
The sameness 1. All of them take feast serious and make enough preparation for it. 2. All of them take the feast as a good chance to enjoy the family warmth and happiness. 3.It is also a good time to enjoy the delicious food.
Difference Ancient people: 1.Their food is not abundant and their reunion time is vary. 2.They would worry about their safety when they have a feast Modern people: They can enjoy themselves to their heart.
Read the text again and try to find the difference of ancient people on their different responsibilities
Task1: Fast Reading What do they do respectively? DAHU: LALA: catch fish, repair stone tools, make scrapers and axe-heads collect fruit and nuts, prepare food
Task2:Read the passage again and try to figure out the job divisions between men and women.
caring affectionate protective dangerous co-operative patient individual exhausting Men’s tasks: Women’s tasks: Patient (tool making), dangerous (hunting), some individual (tool making), some cooperative (hunting) skillful (tool making) protective (of group) Affectionate (to group) , patient (collecting fruits), some individual (collecting), some cooperative (cooking) skillful (cooking) caring (providing food)
Consider using the reading passage to find out: • Who works co-operatively and who does tasks alone; • Who does the most dangerous tasks; • Where are the dangers come from; • Whether the tasks are shared fairly between men and women.
If only 但愿......; 要是……就好了。其后 一般用虚拟语气。 If only she had looked ahead and planned better. If only he had come． Words and expressions 1. If only it could be just like last year. 要是能像去年那样就好了!
vi/vt 赞赏, 鼓掌向(某人或某物) 表示赞赏, 尤指鼓掌欢呼 Everyone applauded when the play ended. 演出结束时, 大家都热烈鼓掌。 I applaud your decision. 我赞成你的决定。 2. applaud:
3. acceleratevi/vt a. to increase the speed of 加速, 促进加快…...的速度 这部新车加速效能良好。 The new car has good acceleration. b. to cause to happen earlier (正式) 催促 他决定加快他的课程进度。 He decided to accelerate his courses.
vt.to capture the attention 引起注意吸引并短时间吸引住(如注 意力) ;吸引 花的艳丽色彩引起苏珊的注意。 The bright colors of the flowers arrested Susan’s attention. 4. arrest:
adj/v眩晕的, 眼花的感到眩晕并要摔倒的 a dizzy height令人晕眩的高度 The old woman was dizzied by the strong wind. 那位老太太被风吹得头昏眼花。 The disaster dizzied his brain. 那场灾难弄得他头脑昏乱。 5. dizzy:
6. relief .n.解脱的感觉 I felt great relief when I heard I had passed the examination. 听说我已经通过了考试, 感到轻松多了。
Translation 1.要是昨天他能按照我的做法就好了. If only he had followed my advice yesterday! 2.当我还清了所有的债务,我有一种解脱感. When I paid off all my debts, I felt great relief. 3.我们怎样才能加快经济的增长呢? How can we accelerate the growth of economy?
4.巨大的噪音吸引了我的注意力,我不得不停止我的工作4.巨大的噪音吸引了我的注意力,我不得不停止我的工作 Great noises arrested my attention, so I had to stop my work.
1. The ____ house smells as if it hasn’t been lived in for years. A. little white wooden B. little wooden white C. white wooden little D. wooden white little Practice adjectives:
2. Jolm Smith, a successful bus businessman, has a _____car. A. large German white B. large white German C. white large German D. German Large white
3. This ____ girl is Linda’s cousin. A. pretty little Spanish B. Spanish Little pretty C. Spanish pretty little D. little pretty Spanish
多个形容词顺序巧记： 一座漂亮的旧石桥 a fine old strong bridge 一些酸绿的食用苹果 some sour green eating apples 口诀顺序：冠、代、数、形（形状、性质）、大（大小、长短）、新（新旧）、色（颜色）、国（国家、产地）、材（材料、用途）、名（名词）
4.What surprised him most happened ____ Sunday morning. A. in a cold rainy B. on a cold rainy C. in a rainy cold D. on a rainy cold
Practice using two or more adjectives to describe the Sanxingdui Ruins objects on page 44. Homework