Unit 5 Additional Reading
1.take turns (in sth/ to do sth.)依次，轮流 The male and female birds take turns in sitting on the eggs. Ex: 我们轮流打扫教室。 We take turns to clean the classroom. = We clean the classroom in turn. = We clean the classroom by turns. Ex: 明天是轮到你打扫教室吗？ Is it your turn to clean the classroom tomorrow?
2. Come off 1) become unfastened or disconnected 松脱，离开 eg. A button came off my coat. 2) to take place esp. successfully eg. The wedding came off as planned.
3. fix sth. : put sth. firmly in a place so that it will not move Eg: to fix a clock to the wall 确定（日期） • Has the date of the next meeting been fixed? • This price will be fixed until the end of the year. 固定（价格） • When the beautiful young lady entered the room, all the eyes were fixed on her. 集中（目光)于。。。 Ex: 在整个会议期间，他的注意力都没有集中.(fix) His attention was not fixed throughout the meeting.
4. fun(un.) amusement, enjoyment, pleasure Have fun! (好好玩！） = Enjoy yourself! He is full of fun. We had fun playing on the ground. He’s learning French just for fun. Ex: 和外国人用英语聊天很有趣。 It is fun chatting in English with foreigners. You can have a lot of fun chatting in English with foreigners.
5. be on fire catch / be on fire put out the fire set sth on fire 使……点燃 eg. A candle had set the curtains on fire. set fire to sth. = make sth. start burning eg. Several young men had set fire to the police car. open fire at sb 向某人开火 There is no smoke without fire. 无风不起浪 make a fire a big forest fire
6. sth. weigh … Sth. measures/ weighs … eg. She weighs 60 kilos. eg. The yard measures 10 metres by 15 metres. Sb. measure / weigh sth. eg. He weighed himself on the bathroom scales. weight (n. ) People tend to put on weight in winter while they are more likely to lose weight in summer. weighty (a. ) eg. His death is weightier than Mount Tai.
7. Carry on • 1) to continue moving • eg. Carry on until you get to the crossroads, then • turn left. • 2) (informal) to argue or complain noisily • eg. He was shouting and carrying on. • 他在大吵大闹。 • carry on with sth to continue doing sth • eg. Carry on with your work while I am away.
8. escape (vi.) 逃脱；逸出~ from prison/ a cage ； eg. She managed to escape from the burning car. (vt.) 逃避，避免~ death死里逃生 ~ punishment (escape being punished); eg. She was lucky to escape punishment. Her name escapes me. (= I can’t remember her name.) (n.) a narrow ~ 九死一生eg. I had a narrow escape. an escape of gas 漏气
9. knock ①敲打，打击；②敲打声 eg. Someone was knocking at the window. There was a knock at the door. knock at sth敲打…… knock sb / sth down撞倒……，拆除…… knock sb / sth over打翻…… knock into sb = run into sb/ come across 偶然遇到某人
10. let out透露，放出 eg. He let out a cry of pain. let off放（烟火） let alone更不用说 = say nothing of eg. He doesn’t even speak his own language well, let alone French. There isn’t enough room for us, let alone any guests.
11. make one’s way去某一个地方/努力做…… feel one’s way 摸索前进 lose one’s way = get lost 迷路 fight one’s way 杀出一条路 push one’s way 推开人群向前走 wind one’ s way 崎岖地向前走 make / give way for sb 为……让路
Exercise: Complete the following sentences with the phrases: make one’s way, feel one’s way, fight one’s way, push one’s way, wind one’s way She was new in the job, still _________________. Is this your plan for ________________ in the world? Try and __________________ through the crowd. She gradually ________________ to the top of the company. The river ____________________ between two valleys. feeling her way making your way push your way fought her way winds its way
Translation: 1。勤洗手是避免疾病传染的有效方法之一。（infect） 2。坏蛋们是免不了受到惩罚的。（escape） 3。阅读时请集中注意力。（fix） 4。养只狗作宠物很好玩，但请同时防止传染病。（fun） 5。每次打针，他总是痛得叫起来。（inject；let out） 6。昨天在去上班的路上，他邂逅了以前的同班同学。（knock into） 7。我花了一个多月才摆脱了我的感冒。（get over） 8。在课堂上，我们经常轮流发言。（take turns） 9。他可以30分钟走5公里路。（cover） 10。你可以信赖她，因为她从不违背诺言。（rely on）