turnup Guess the words according to theirmeanings: 1. ________ appear 2.________________ keep her promise 3. ____ a person who is not clever 4. _____________ wait without much hope 5. _______ say sorry to sb 6. ______ die in water because of unable to breathe keep her word fool hold hisbreath apologize drown
drown one’s sadness/sorrow in coffee 7. _________________________________ drink coffee in order to forget the sadness/sorrow 8. ______ not difficult to understand or see obvious
weep 9. _______cry in a low voice or silently 10. ______ two people who are seen together, especially if they are married 11.___________ a person who makes news known 12._______ pardon or show mercy to sb couple announcer forgive
牛郎白天放牛 牛郎织女喜结良缘 王母娘娘把他们分开 牛郎织女终于 在鹊桥上相会了
The Chinese people believe that the star Vega（织女星）, east of the Milky Way, is Zhi Nü and, at the constellation of Aquila（天鹰座）, on the western side of the Milky Way, Niu Lang waits for his wife.
Well-known poem 两情若是久长时,又岂在朝朝暮暮。 Eternal love between us two, Shall withstand the time apart.
True or false 1. The girl Li Fang loved and waited for didn’t turn up. But he didn’t lose heart. The girl Li Fang loved and waited for didn’t turn up. So he lost heart, because he would drown his sadness in coffee. F
2. Because her most lovely daughter got married to a human secretly, the Goddess got very angry. 3. Zhinü was made to return to Heaven without her husband. They were allowed to meet once a year on the seventh day of the tenth lunar month. T F
Zhinü was made to return to Heaven without her husband. They were allowed to meet once a year on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month. 4. Hu Jin had been waiting for Li Fang for a long time with a gift for him. T
Answer the questions 1. Why was the TV story what Li Fang needed? The TV story was a sad story about lost love-- the same situation as Li Fang. 2. What was Li Fang afraid that Hu Jin was doing? He was afraid that she was with her friends laughing at him.
3. How did Li Fang know the manager wanted to shut the coffee shop? The manager wiped the tables and then sat down and turned on the TV. 4. Why do people want the weather to be fine on Qiqiaojie? People want the weather to be fine so they can meet the one they love.
5. What is the reason why Li Fang and Hu Jin did not meet on time? They did not meet on time because Li Fang waited in the coffee shop and Hu Jin waited in the tea shop.
6. Why was Li Fang so worried at the end of the story? He was worried because he had thrown away the gifts for Hu Jin--the chocolates and roses so he had nothing to give her and he thought she would not forgive him.
Language points 1. But she didn’t turn up. 1) 来, 出席(某活动) I’m very happy you turned up so early. 2) 把(收音机等)音量开大一些, 其反义短语是turn down.
Turn up the radio a little, I can scarcely hear the program. turn down 拒绝 turn off 关掉 turn on 打开 turn out 结果是...... turn to sb. for help 向某人求助 相关短语:
2. She could be with her friends right now laughing at him. [点拨]此句中laughing at him是动词 -ing短语作伴随状语, 强调与谓语动词的动作同时发生, 即, 她与朋友们呆在一起的同时, 也在嘲笑他。
又如： They stood there for an hour, watching the woman weaving the cloth. 他们在那儿站了一个小时, 看那位妇女织布。 Don’t just stand there doing nothing. 不要站在那儿无所事事。
[即学即用] 1) ____ for the train, I had a long talk with my sister about the famous poet. A. Waited B. Being waiting C. Having waited D. Waiting 2) I stood for a moment, not ___, and asked myself what would take place next. A. moved B. moving C. to move D. being moved D B
3) Mike is a student at a famous university, ___ for a degree in agriculture. A. studied B. studying C. to have studied D. to be studying B
3. She said she would be there at seven o’clock, and he thought she would keep her word. keep one’s word 意为“守信用”,其反义词是break one’s word, 即“失信”。 He is a man who always keeps his word.
Don’t break your word, otherwise, no one will trust you. 注意：keep one’s word和break one’s word中的名词word不能用复数形式。 相关短语： in a word/in short/to be short 简言之；总之
have a word with sb. 与某人谈话 have words with sb. 与某人发生口角 in other words 换句话说
A gentleman should always __ his __. A. keeps; word B. keep; word C. keeps; words D. keep; words B
4. It was obvious that the manager of the coffee shop was waiting for Li Fang to leave... obvious adj. 1) obvious + to + 表示人的名词或代词 Her disappointment was obvious to her friend. 明显的，清楚的
2) It + be + obvious +that-clause It was obvious that she was in danger. 辨析： obvious/apparent/clear ① obvious 是三者中程度最强的，含有“一目了然” 之意。 It is obvious that you are wrong.
2) apparent 指具有某些明显的迹象的，侧重与经历推理才能看出结果。 It was apparent from his face that he was lying. 3) clear 作“明白的，清楚的”讲。指不模糊含混，易于观察，了解和识别。 He seems clear about his plans.
[考点] obvious adj. 明显的; 显而易见的。常用句型: It is obvious that …。obviously adv. 明显地，显然。 [考例] Most people on this island are recreational fishers, and ____, fishing forms an actual part of their leisure time.(上海 2004) A. accidentally B. purposefully C. obviously D. formally
[点拨]句意: 这个岛上的大多数人是消遣的钓鱼者, 很明显, 钓鱼就成为了他们空暇时光的真正的消遣。accidentally 偶然地; 意外地; purposefully 有意义地; formally 形式地; 正式地。
5. When the Goddess of Heaven knew that her granddaughter was married to a human, she ... marry 的用法： 1) 她嫁给了一个律师。 She married with a lawyer. She married a doctor. F T
表示“和......结婚”，“嫁......”，“娶......”时，marry为及物动词，要用marry sb.，而不用marry with sb. 2) 她和一位律师结婚了。 She gotmarried with a lawyer. She got married a lawyer. She wasmarried to a lawyer. F F T
表示婚姻状态, 后接宾语时要用介词to， 而不用with. 3) 他们结婚三年了。 They have married for three years. They have got marriedfor three years. They have been married for three years.
They got married three years ago. It’s three years since they got married. 注意：marry和get married 都表示短暂行为，不能和表示一段时间的短语连用，而have been married则表示婚姻状态，可以与表示婚姻状态持续多久的时间状语连用。
6. People in China hope that the weather will be fine on that day, because if it is raining, it means that Zhinü is weeping and the couple won’t be able to meet. [点拨]此句是一个主从复合句。主句为People in China ... on that day; 从句为because引导的原因状语从句。
另外, 在主句中包含着由that引导的宾语从句, 作hope的宾语; 在because引导的原因状语从句中又包含着一个主从复合句: 该主从复合句的主句为it means that ... to meet；从句为if引导的条件状语从句。
7. As Li Fang set off for home, he thought... set off: Tom and his father set off for America yesterday. The bomb set off among the crowd. 动身, 出发; 使（地雷、炸弹）爆炸; 使某物更有吸引力
A woman’ beauty is set off by her clothes and jewellery. 相关短语： set about doing sth. 着手（做某事） set in 开始 set up 建立，创立 set down写下，记下
set somebody to do something. 使某人开始工作 set somebody doing something 使某人处于某种动作或状态 8. I don’t want them to remind me of her. remind vi. remind sb. of sth. remind sb. to do sth. remind sb. that 提醒，使想起
[考点] remind 提醒; 使想起; 使记起。 [考例] The photos will r_____ me of the days when we were together. (浙江 2007) 答案是remind。此题考查remind sb. of sth. “使某人想起某事”。句意为“这些照片会使我想起我们在一起的日子”。
Fill in the blanks to complete the passage: The weaving girl Zhinü, the granddaughter of the Goddess of Heaven, met the herd boy Niulang and _____ ________ him. Then they ___________ secretly and lived __________. love with fellin got married a happy life
But when the Goddess of Heaven knew it, she ___ ____ _____ _____ it and _____ Zhinü __ _________ to Heaven. Niulang ___ ____ __ _____ to follow her, but the Milky Way stopped him. was very angry about to come back forced did what he could
When Zhinü’s grandmother ______ that Zhinü was ___ ___ ______, she finally ______ the couple ______ cross the Milky Way once a year. This happens on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month when magpies made a bridge of their wings __ ____ __ let the couple cross the river to meet. This is the story of Qiqiaojie---a Chinese Valentine’s Day. found indeep sorrow allowed to meet in order to
练习坊 I.选用合适的词或短语，用其适当形式填空。 remind ... of; keep one’s word; permit; drown; hold one’s breath; turn up; set off • I’ll come after the meeting if time • ________. permits
remind ... of; keep one’s word; permit; drown; hold one’s breath; turn up; set off 2. Eventually my watch __________ in a coat pocket. 3. Since you promised, you should ______________. 4. How could you ________________ for 9 minutes? turned up keep your word hold your breath
remind ... of; keep one’s word; permit; drown; hold one’s breath; turn up; set off 5. If you want to catch that train you’d better ______ for the station immediately. 6. That ________ me ____ a joke I heard last week. 7. Unfortunately, the little girl __________ in the river last year. setoff reminds of was drowned
II.根据括号内的提示翻译下列句子。 1. 请提醒我明天给我母亲写信。(remind) Please remind me to write to my mother tomorrow. 2. 我不能原谅他撒谎。(forgive) I can’t forgive him for lying.
3.你太无理了, 你必须向你姐姐道歉。 (apologize) You must apologize to your sister for being so rude. 4.我听不清楚广播，你能把声音调高点吗？(turn up) I can’thear the radio very well; could you turn it up a bit?
5.这起事故已经引起了全世界的关注。 (worldwide) The accident has attracted worldwide attention.