Field Study Research . Meghan Dolan October 4, 2010 and October 6, 2010 3pm-4pm . Copyright © President & Fellows of Harvard College. Reason for Today’s Workshop. Provide a strategy in planning your research.
October 4, 2010 and October 6, 2010
Copyright © President & Fellows of Harvard College
You can get basic guidance for this in:
Databases, by Content
Industry Research Guide
Explore a new business opportunity or idea:
Find statistics and demographic data:
i.e. Demographics and Consumer Behavior Guide
Find a network of contacts in a company or industry:
HBS Alumni Navigator
Suggested Resources for packaged market research reports for various industries:
- Global Market Information Database [Euromonitor]
- OneSource – once in, click on “Industries”
- Forrester Research (new media, internet, telecommunications)
- Datamonitor [in Business Source Complete and OneSource]
Where are they all listed? In Baker Databases A-Z List http://www.library.hbs.edu/databases/completelist.html
ISI Emerging Markets – see Industry Tab
Interesting industry profiles: Pharma in Argentina
Baker provides access to a number of the major resources commonly used today for financial analysis:
- Public and private company data, investment firms, capital transactions.
The Deal Pipelinehttp://www.library.hbs.edu/go/thedeal.html
- Data coverage and analysis on M&A, private equity, IPOs and bankruptcies.
Thomson ONE Bankerhttp://www.library.hbs.edu/go/thomsonbanker.html
- Features market quotes, earnings estimates, financial fundamentals, press releases, transaction data, corporate filings, and ownership profiles. Access to investment analyst reports.
Financial Markets Research Guidehttp://www.library.hbs.edu/guides/financial_markets/
- List of all the resources available at Baker for financial analysis research.
LexisNexis Legal Researchhttp://www.library.hbs.edu/go/lexisnexis.htmlOnce in, click “Legal” at the top of the screen.
Start-up & emerging companies : planning, financing, and operating the successful business / Richard D. Harroch, Ref. KF1414 .S73 1998 Legal information and forms for start-ups. [Book and Cd-Rom]
Harvard Law Library Research Resources http://www.law.harvard.edu/library/services/research/
The examples below are included in the Industry Research Guide
S&P NetAdvantage- these reports tell you how the industry is organized and how to analyze it
- “Retailing- Specialty” industry report
- Industry in Focus reports “Sectors: Social Games Represent Opportunity for Investment”
Thomson ONE Banker- provides reports from investment banks and investment research firms on a company or industry [Ignore pricing, no charge for reports!]
- “European Luxury Goods - Macro indicators, momentum & valuation”(Credit Suisse, September 2010)
At this website an index to HBS case studies is available openly on the internet however there is a charge for accessing the cases themselves.
ECCH is an independent, non-profit organization that provides a broad collection of management case studies at its website, including HBS cases. There is a charge for accessing cases.
“Analysis of Business Opportunities in the
Organic Food Market”
Where would you look to answer these questions?
Databases Guidehttp://www.library.hbs.edu/databases/Allows you to search for databases by content, subject or from alphabetically
Industry Research Guidehttp://www.library.hbs.edu/guides/company-industry-and-career-research.htmlThis guide includes the following sections:
“Global Organic Food Market Segmentation by Geographic Region” and “United States survey percentages of organic food purchases by metropolitan area” in TableBase
2. What are some of the leading companies in the organic foodmarket?
“Organic Food Industry Profile: Global” in Business Source Complete
3. What are the key issues to consider when researching a company within the food industry?S&P NetAdvantage“Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages” industry report or First Research “Specialty Food Stores”
4. Where is the US organic food market going?
Recent articles including “The Going Gets Tough for Organics” , “Organics Face Market Challenges” and “Organic Food Becomes Latest Casualty in Credit Crunch” in Factiva.
5. What are analysts saying about Whole Foods Market?
Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Argus and Deutsche Bank analyst reports in Thomson ONE Banker
6. How do I find a contact at Tesco?Capital IQ
Key Tips on Using HBS Baker and other Harvard University Databases
Reference librarian (Please ask for reference librarian at the front desk)
SUN: 12 pm – 7 pm; MON-THUR: 9am – 7pm; FRI: 9am – 5pm
Stamps Reading Room Quiet Study hours*:
SUN – THUR: 7pm – 12am; SAT: 12pm - 7pm
Phone: (617) 495-6040
Request a consultation (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an appointment for an in-depth research consultation with a reference librarian.
* Please Note: Reading Room hours vary during the summer and holidays, see “Baker Hours” at: http://www.library.hbs.edu/info/hours.html.
Search and browse about 200 answers to library service and substantive research questions. New answers are added throughout
Citation management software
This presentation will be posted to the library website.