World War I : New Technology and U.S. Involvement. * Today’s focus will be on the use of new methods and technology in World War I and the United States’ Involvement on the Western Front * . The History Channel on 'Trench Warfare'. German trenches at the right, British at the left.
* Today’s focus will be on the use of new methods and technology in World War I and the United States’ Involvement on the Western Front *
The History Channel on 'Trench Warfare'
* New Weapons: Poison Gas
* Arrival of Americans changed course of war and helped Allies pull off a “victory” *
* June – July 1917, American troops supplemented Allied powers on the Western Front (“doughboys”)
* July 1917, John J. Pershing and the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) arrive in Paris – Pershing’s VIEWS on the U.S. involvement were different than other Allied Powers’…
* AEF troops arrived at the rate of 10,000 a day, Germans could NOT sustain fighting!
* The U.S. troops were escorted by a convoy system across the Atlantic *
* Different tech. from the British
* Germans launch HUGE offensive in March 1918 (July) – AEF troops played large role in preventing Central powers from taking Paris *
*September 1918, AEF under Pershing launch the Meuse-Argonne Offensive – aka the Battle of Argonne Forest
*Argonne Forest was CRUCIAL to the Allied war effort because it caused the Germans to begin their final retreat!
* November 11, 1918 – Armistice Day signaled the end of World War I *
* By October 1918, the Central powers had fallen apart (Ger., A-H, Ott.)
Battle of Argonne - "Trench Warfare"