Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Beef Industry An Overview of the Beef Industry in Georgia. Georgia Agricultural Education Curriculum Office Dr. Frank Flanders and Scott Register April 2006. Objectives. Students will be able to: Explain the importance of the beef industry in Georgia. Name 4 beef meat cuts.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Georgia Agricultural Education Curriculum Office
Dr. Frank Flanders and Scott Register
Students will be able to:
Every day, 76 million Americans eat beef.
99% of a beef carcass is either used as meat or recovered as by-products
Consumers spend more than half of their meat budget on beef
Beef is one of the best sources of iron,
the single nutrient most often lacking
in the diets of adult women,
young children and athletes.
There are 8 sections of the beef carcass that are designated into retail cuts.
There are 44 of these retail cuts
The chart to the left show these most common cuts of beef.
Breed Types Advantages Disadvantages
Moderate frame size
Therefore, the beef industry has a large impact on the state's economy (estimated at more than $2 billion).
1. What percentage of a beef carcass is used as either meat or as a byproduct?
A. 10% B. 28% C. 78% D. 99%
2. Consumers as a whole spend more than ____ of their meat budget on beef.
A. 1/3 B.1/2 C. they make D. their monthly income
3. There are 8 sections of the beef carcass that are designated into ____.
A. retail cuts B. production cuts C. choice cuts D. USDA select
4. Name four of the eight cuts.
5. There are three categories that most beef cattle fall under; Zebu, European and ___.
6. What are the four most abundant breeds of beef cattle in Georgia?
7. What color can angus cattle be? A. Black B. White C. Red D. Black or Red
8. Beef cattle are grown in _______ counties in Georgia. A. 125 B. 159 C. 200 D. 36
9. Name two of the top five beef cattle producing counties in Georgia.
10. How does the beef industry rank in comparison to other Georgia agricultural commodities?
A. 1 B. 7 C. 10 D. 25