Early Empires. Sargon I. Who created the world’s first empire? Sargon I conquered Sumerian city states and created the world’s first empire. Under Sargon I Akkadian became the official language of the people. Hammurabi of Babylon. Who moved into Mesopotamia in 1800 B.C.?
2. Wheel – Helped transportation
3. Plow – Made it possible for farmers to grow more food with less effort
4. Sailboat – Replaced muscle power with wind power
5. Calendar – The people of Mesopotamia developed a 12-month calendar based on the cycles of the moon. The calendar marked the times for religious festivals and planting
6. Math – The people developed a number system based on 60. From this came the 60-minute hour, 60-second minute, and the 360-degree circle.
7. Water Clock – A clock that was operated by controlled drops of water.