The Odyssey. Homer. Pre-reading questions. Pre-Reading Questions 1. Have you ever read a story about the ancient Greeks? What do you know about the ancient Greek civilization?
1. Have you ever read a story about the ancient Greeks? What do you know about the ancient Greek civilization?
2. The ancient Greeks were polytheistic (believing in many gods). What, in your opinion, are the advantages and disadvantages of worshipping many gods?
3. The Odyssey was written in ancient Greek, a dead language. You are about to read an English translation. What is a translation? What is the purpose of an ideal translation?
4. Have you ever been lost or lost your way home? What was it like? How did you feel when you found your way?
5. Why do we read books like The Odyssey? Why read something that is thousands of years old?
Story of the last year of the Trojan War:
War had lasted 10 years.
Troy was defeated when Ulysses and his men were able to get inside the walls of Troy concealed within the body of the Trojan horse.
Two Types of Epics:
Shared characteristics of epics that bards/scops drew upon to recall the stories they were recounting and that writers of epics drew upon to establish the epic quality of their poems.
Identify a hero or heroine from a film or story and explain how their journey fits the three phases – be sure to give examples.