Unit 10 Other Terms of Payment 其他支付方式. 10.1 Introduction （简介）. 目的：掌握汇付和托收两种汇款方式信函的书写，包括如何介绍付款方式、要求更有利的付款方式或变更付款方式等。. 汇付（ Remittance ）是最简单的国际货款结算方式。采用汇付方式结算货款时，出口方将货物直接交付给进口方，由进口方径自通过银行将货款汇给出口方。 汇付方式有三种： 电汇（ Telegraphic Transfer or T/T ） 信汇（ Mail Transfer or M/T ） 票汇（ Demand Draft or D/D ）.
10.1 Introduction（简介） 目的：掌握汇付和托收两种汇款方式信函的书写，包括如何介绍付款方式、要求更有利的付款方式或变更付款方式等。
汇付（Remittance）是最简单的国际货款结算方式。采用汇付方式结算货款时，出口方将货物直接交付给进口方，由进口方径自通过银行将货款汇给出口方。汇付（Remittance）是最简单的国际货款结算方式。采用汇付方式结算货款时，出口方将货物直接交付给进口方，由进口方径自通过银行将货款汇给出口方。 • 汇付方式有三种： • 电汇（Telegraphic Transfer or T/T） • 信汇（Mail Transfer or M/T） • 票汇（Demand Draft or D/D）
汇付涉及到四个当事人： • 1. 汇款人(Remitter)：是指通过银行汇付款项的一方，通常是进口人或债务人。 • 2.收款人(Payee，Beneficiary) ：是指接受汇付款项的人，在国际贸易中通常为出口人。 • 3. 汇出行(Remitting Bank)：是指接受汇款人委托并依照汇款委托书的要求，在规定时间以规定方式汇出相应款项的银行。在国际贸易中汇出行通常是进口方所在地银行。是接受汇款人的委托，汇出款项的银行，通常是进口人所在地的银行。 • 4. 汇入行(Receiving Bank) ：是指接受汇出行委托解付相关款项给收款人的银行，在国际贸易中通常是出口方所在地银行。
实际使用 • 预付 • 预付货款(payment in advance) • 随订单付现(cash with order, CWO) • 后付 • 记账交易(open account, O/A) • 交货付现(cash on delivery, COD)
托收（Collection）分为光票托收和跟单托收。 • 光票托收 Clean Collection • 跟单托收 Documentary Collection • 承兑交单（Documents Against Acceptance or D/A） • 付款交单（Documents Against Payment or D/P） • 即期付款交单（D/P at sight） • 远期付款交单（D/P after sight）
托收的当事人主要有： • 1. 委托人(Consignor or principal or drawer) • 一般为出口商，作为贸易合同的卖方，他首先要按合同规定交付货物，而后才能通过提交有关单证委托银行收取货款；作为向银行办理托收的委托人，为商业汇票的出票人，他应依委托书的约定交纳相关的银行费用。 • 2. 托收行(Remitting bank) • 是接受委托人的委托，再转托其在进口国的分行和代理行（即代收行）代为收款的银行，托收行最主要的职责就是严格按照委托书的要求向代收行作业务指示，对于委托书中的未尽事宜，按银行业务的常规处理。
3. 代收行（Collecting bank），又称为寄单行 • 接受委托行的委托，并依据其委托指令交单的银行，他必须在进口方赎单以前保管好单据，并在遭到进口方拒付时或拒绝承兑时及时通知托收行。 • 4. 付款人(Drawee) • 一般为进口商，其最主要的义务就是依据合同规定付款赎单，同样也有权对不符合合同规定的货物拒绝付款。
5. 提示行(Presenting Bank) 是向付款人提示汇票的银行，为代收行或代收行转托的与付款人有往来账户关系的银行。 • 6. 需要时代理(Principal Representative in case of Need) 是委托人在托收申请书中指定的在付款地的代理人，如果汇票遭到付款人拒付，就由该代理人代为料理货物存仓、转售、运回等事宜。
10.2 Writing Skills（写作技巧） 其他付款方式信函的写作步骤及常见表达方式：
10.3 Specimen Letters（样函） Letter 1：Ask for easier terms of payment Dear Mr. Deng, We’ve studied the specifications and price-list of our new paints and now wish to place the enclosed order with you. As we are in urgent need of several of the items, we should be glad if you make up and ship the order as soon as you possibly can. In the past, we have dealt with you on sight credit basis. Now, we would like to propose a different way of payment, i.e., when the goods purchased by us are ready for shipment and the freight space booked, you cable us and we will remit you the full amount by T/T.
The reasons are we can thus more confidently assure our buyers of the time of delivery and save a lot of expenses on opening the letter of credit. As we feel this would not make much difference to you but would facilitate our sales, we hope you will grant our request. We look forward to your confirmation of our order and your affirmative reply to our new arrangements of payment. Yours faithfully, Alexander Tunk
Letter 2：A reply to Letter 1 Dear Mr. Tunk, We are pleased to acknowledge your order for our new paints. The arrangements you proposed to meet outstanding accounts are quite satisfactory. All items included in your order can be supplied from stock and will be packed and shipped immediately your remittance by T/T is received. Yours sincerely, Xiang Deng
Letter 3：Request for payment by D/A Dear Mr. Liu, Thank you for your letter of 4th of June, which arrived this morning. We are pleased that you have been able to ship our order in good time but we are surprised that you still demand payment against documents. After long years of satisfactory trading we feel that we are entitled to easier terms. Most of our suppliers are drawing on us at 60 d/s, documents against acceptance, and we should be grateful if you could grant us the same terms. We are looking forward to your favorably reply. Yours faithfully, Billy Singh
Letter 4：A reply to Letter 3 Dear Mr. Singh, We have received your letter in which you ask for an easier term of payment. In consideration of the very pleasant business relationship we have had with your firm for more than 15 years, we have decided to agree to your suggestion. We shall, therefore, in future draw on you at 60 d/s, documents against acceptance, and trust that this term will suit your requirements. We hope that our concession will result in a considerable increase of your orders and assure you that we shall always endeavor to execute them to your complete satisfaction. Yours faithfully, Mark Liu
Letter 5：Propose to pay by D/P at sight Dear Sirs, We wish to place with you an order for 100 leather handbags. For this particular order we would like to pay by D/P at sight. Involved about USD2 000, this order is comparatively a little one. It goes without saying that we very appreciate the support you have extended us in the past. If you can do us a special favor this time, please send us your contract, upon receipt of which we will establish the draft of D/P. Yours faithfully, Wan Wang
Letter 6：A reply to Letter 5 Dear Mr. Wang, We are in receipt of your letter of August 22. Having studied your suggestion for payment by D/P at sight for USD2 000, it is quite difficult for us to accept that. As our usual practice goes, we require payment by confirmed and irrevocable letter of credit. That is to say, at present, we can’t accept D/P terms in all transactions with our customers abroad. I regret to say that we must adhere to our usual practice and hope that this will not affect our future business relations. Yours sincerely, Don Torend
10.4 Focal Words（焦点词汇） due adj. 适当的，预期的，应支付的 The contract has been signed in due form. The negotiation is due to begin from next Monday. We are going to pay the amount due to you within one month. n. 应得物，（复）应付款 You should give him his due.These are harbor dues. due to由于，应归于 Due to our mistake, we can’t book shipping freight space in time.
file n. 文件夹，档案，锉刀 Take out the file we need and copy those documents. These are files of all the previous contracts. v. 把……归档，提出（申请），排成纵队行进 Please file away these documents. He has filed an application with the authorities. The court has filed a suit against him. They filed out of the room.
means n. 方法，财产，资产 This company has left no means untried to expand the foreign markets. That foreign firm has not much means. by all means尽一切办法，务必 This plan must be realized by all means. by any means 无论如何 By any means, we have to ensure that the goods will reach in perfect condition. by means of… 用……，依靠…… He succeeded by means of perseverance.
oblige v. 迫使，以契约束缚，答应……的请求，（用被动语态）使感激 The company was obliged to sign the contract. The boss obliged himself to settle his company’s bills. Will you oblige me by closing the window? obligee n. 债权人 obliging adj. 乐于助人的，有礼貌的 obligor n. 债务人
outstanding adj. 杰出的，未完成的，未付款的 He has made outstanding contributions to the company. There is still an outstanding issue. We don’t know how to deal with an outstanding check. n.（复）未偿清的贷款
payment in advance 预付 • payment by installments 分期付款 • deferred payment 延期付款 • extension of payment 延长付款 • payment on arrival of goods 货到付款 • payment at maturity 到期付款 • full payment 全额付款 • lump sum payment 一次付款 • payment in kind 实物付款 • down payment 定金
instruments of payment 支付工具 • draft, bill of exchange 汇票 • sight bill/draft 即期汇票 • demand draft 即期汇票 • time bill /usance draft 远期汇票 • documentary draft 跟单汇票 • clean bill 光票 • commercial acceptance bill 商业承兑汇票 • banker’s acceptance bill 银行承兑汇票 • check/cheque 支票 • certified check 保付支票 • promissory note 本票
meet one’s account 支付款项 • on collection basis 以托收的方式 • standing order 常年订单 • run low 减少；即将用尽 • give an idea of 使…明白 • usual practice 习惯做法 • at this end= at our end 在此地，在我地 • tight money 银根紧 • easier terms 较宽松的条款
10.5 Useful Sentences（实用语句） 1. 结算用语 This account is under examination, and if found correct, it shall be carried to a new account, in conformity with your instructions. Enclosed we hand you a statement of account to date, showing a balance of USD20 000 in our favor, which we trust will be found in order. Your favor of yesterday was duly received, and we hand you herewith a statement of your account as requested, which we hope you will find correct.
2. 请求付款 With these facts before you, we feel sure that you will send us your check by return mail. Thank you. Please let us have your check for the USD60 now past overdue. We urge that you make this settlement without delay. 3. 催告付款 We wish to state that if the account be not paid by next Monday, we shall be forced to place the matter in the hands of four solicitors. In spite of your repeated promises to let us have a cheque, we are still without a settlement of your outstanding account, and therefore, unless same is settled by the end of this month, we shall be compelled to hand over the matter to our solicitor.
4. 汇票汇款 I send you herewith a cheque, value USD250 000, receipt of which please acknowledge. 5. 付款已收到 We acknowledge receipt of your cheque, USD100 000, in settlement of the charges on the consignment, and pass this sum to your credit, with best thanks. 6. 开立汇票 We advise you that we have drawn on you this day for USD100 000, at 3m/s, to the order of yourself, which we commend to your kind protection.
7. 请求承兑汇票 Enclosed we hand you a draft, USD300 000, drawn on you by our London house. Kindly accept same and return. We have taken the liberty of drawing on you today against this consignment for USD500 000 at sixty days’ sight, which please protect on presentation. 8. 寄汇票 Enclosed is a sight draft for USD26.15 on Messrs. Robert & Sons, which clears off our indebtedness to you. Enclosed you will receive first of exchange for USD500 at sixty days’ sight, on George Bury & Co., with which you will please to do the needful, and credit my account accordingly.
9. 承兑汇票 Your three drafts on Martin & Co., to my order, have been accepted by Smith & Co. 10. 无法承兑汇票 We state that your draft, No. 3345, for USD2 500 000, duly accepted by Mr. Wang, has been dishonored by non-payment. 11. 延期付款 I shall be very much obliged if you will give me a little more time to settle your account due 3rd July.
12. 往来账目 Enclosed I now wait on you with your account current, leaving a balance of USD500 in my favor, which if found correct, you will be so good as to pass to a new account. 13. 分期付款 As the machine was hired to you on the understanding that regular payments would be made, we must ask that in future the terms of the agreement should be strictly adhered to. 14. 付款日通知 The account is subject to 10% discount if settled within fifteen days of rendering, after which it is strictly net.
It has been our usual practice to do business with payment by D/P at sight instead of by L/C. We should, therefore, like you to accept D/P terms for this transaction and future ones. • In view of the small amount of this transaction, we are prepared to accept payment by D/P at 30 days’ sight for the value of the goods shipped. • We wish to draw your attention to the fact that as a special sign of encouragement, we shall consider accepting payment by D/P during sales stage. We trust this will greatly facilitate your effort in sales.
Your proposal to pay by draft is acceptable to us and we shall accordingly draw on you at 2 months from the date of shipment of your order. • In compliance with your request, we exceptionally accept delivery against D/P at sight, but this should not be regarded as a precedent. • We enclose a bank draft for RMB 34,890, being the amount less 2% discount. • In order to conclude this transaction, we are prepared to accept payment of 50% L/C and the balance by D/P at sight.
exercise • advance payment 预付款 • 付款通知 payment order • 信汇 M/T(mail transfer) • 托收行 collecting bank
1. Import/Export License A 签名商业发票 • 2. Documentary L/C B 清洁已装船提单 • 3. Signed Commercial Invoice C重量单 • 4. Negotiable Insurance Policy D 进出口许可证 • 5. Clean On Board Bill of Lading E 正本保险单 • 6. Certificate of Origin F 跟单信用证 • 7. Air Waybills G 装箱单 • 8. Packing List H原产地证明 • 9. Weight Memo I 数量/重量证明书 • 10. Certificate of Quantity/Weight J.空运单
1. payment by installment A 预先付款 • 2. collection B 破产 • 3. sight/time draft C 付款定金 • 4. payment in advance D 未偿还的 • 5. drawer/ drawee E 结余, 余额 • 6. down payment F 分期付款 • 7. bankruptcy G 出票人/受票人 • 8. balance H 托收 • 9. insolvency I 即期/远期汇票 • 10. outstanding J 无力偿还, 破产
1. Payment should be made ___ sight draft. • A. at B. upon C. by D. after • 2. You are authorized to draw a 60 days’ draft __ our bank __ this credit __ the amount of your invoice. • A. on; against; for B. against; on; for • C. for; against; on D. for; against; on • 3. Your request for earlier payment is unacceptable to us since our money has been _________ by some other businesses. • A. taken up B. brought C. placed D. tied up
4. Could you make an _______ for us and accept D/P or D/A? • A. except B. expect • C. expectation D. exception • 5. Open account, a widely used _______ to make payment in U.S.A., is used less often internationally, because it is unpopular among the exporters in foreign countries. • A. payment B. practice C. collection D. account
settle the account, payable, accept, Please see to it that, outstanding sum , drawn a draft , extend credit, buy online, amounts, risk of default • 1. We usually accept payment by irrevocable L/C _____ against shipping documents. • 2. The total value of your order to $50,000. • 3. Online payment processing lets your customers ________, offline, and over mobile devices. • 4. Please send us a cheque to _____________. • 5. We have _________ on you at 30 days’ sight for $32000 in favor of Bank of China. • 6. ___________ the L/C stipulations are in exact accordance with the terms of the contract.
settle the account, payable, accept, Please see to it that, outstanding sum , drawn a draft , extend credit, buy online, amounts, risk of default • 7. You are kindly requested to _________ this draft by signing on the back. • 8. We have to inform you that it is not yet possible for us to pay you the _____________ of $6,000 which was due on 31st March. • 9. A time draft under an irrevocable letter of credit confirmed by a U.S. bank presents relatively little _______________. • 10. U.S. sellers who are reluctant to ____________ may face the possibility of the loss of the sale to their competitors.
homework • 1. 我们的惯例是金额超过2万英镑的订单必须以即期信用证付款。 • 2. 考虑到我们多年的友好关系，这笔交易我们接受60天远期承兑交单方式。 • 3. 一半货款以电汇方式支付，另一半货到后凭单付款。 • 4. 汇票已交银行按光票托收。 • 5. 我方抱歉不能接受货到目的港后凭单付款的支付方式。
1. Our usual practice of payment is to pay sight L/C for an order exceeding 20,000 pounds. • 2. In consideration of our long friendly relations, we accept 60 days L/C for this transaction. • 3. Payment is to be made by T/T for half of this order, the balance by D/P upon delivery. • 4. The draft has been handed to the bank on clean collection. • 5. We regret that we can not accept D/P after the goods arrive at the port of destination.