Job Satisfaction Unit. The emotional state resulting from the appraisal of one’s job or job experience. What is a concept map?. A visual representation of a knowledge structure A tool for organizing and representing knowledge Creativity in business thinking tool
1. What is job satisfaction and why is it important?
2. What is the status of job satisfaction in the U.S. today?
3. What are the controversies surrounding job satisfaction?
a. How much variation in performance is explained by
b. Could job performance cause job satisfaction?
c. Is job satisfaction really an attitude?
4. What factors affect job satisfaction?
Gallop polls report consistently high responses
4-point Gallup polls reconfirm
Americans are dissatisfied
Poll wording is flawed
zations yield different results
• Still recent data suggest that “storm clouds” of change may be brewing2. What is the Status of Job Satisfaction?
1997: 84%% (37% completely, 47% somewhat)
same occupation again?”
Percent who would choose similar work again
(Want children to follow in footsteps)
Professional and White collarWorking Class
University professors Printers
Physicists Skilled auto workers
Biologists Skilled steel workers
Lawyers Textile workers
Journalists Unskilled auto workers
Measures satisfaction with the following, separately:
1. The work itself
5. Opportunities for
Red entries traditionally the dimensions rated lowest
aSource: 2009 Employee Job Satisfaction: A survey report by SHRM including “somewhat satisfied” and “very satisfied”
bSource: 2012 Employee Job Satisfaction and Engagement: A Research Report by SHRM including “somewhat satisfied” and “very satisfied”
(a) How much variation in performance
is explained by satisfaction?
X% of the variance in
in job performance can
typically be explained by
and job performance?
1. What were your expectations? How much variation in job performance should one factor like job satisfaction account for? What other factors likely explain most of the variation in job performance? Review conceptual maps.
2. On the other hand, the estimates suggesting that satisfaction and performance correlate only r =.3 (R2 = .09) may be underestimates because of measurement problems in job performance. (leniency and/or central tendency)
* Schleicher et al. 2009
(c) Is job satisfaction really an attitude?
Satisfaction stable over time
May be more like a personality trait (& not subject to manager
Supported by identical twin reared apart dataWhat are the controversies surrounding job satisfaction?
Personality: self-esteem, stamina,
internal locus of control,
positive affectivity (disposition),
hope, and resilience
Status/seniority in the organization
Perceived fairness of rewards
Perceived quality of supervision
Decentralization of power
Pleasant physical working conditions
-What do studies say about the relationship between job sat and performance?
-How and why should Ψwell-being predict job performance?
Morrow Concept Map: Indicators of Low Psychological Well-Being: Depression, Self-esteem, Pessimism
Low Ψ well-being and Motivation
Low Ψ well-being may also lead to: