Research Process Define Problem, Research Objectives. HOW? Overall Method Survey Experiment Case Study Secondary Data. What? Concepts Variables Measures. Who? Population Sampling. Data Gathering Analysis Application. STEPS IN A SURVEY. 1. Define study objectives
1. Preliminary Info
Who are subjects
Method of communication
2. Question Content
3. Question Wording
4. Response Format
5. Question Sequencing/Layout
1. Simple fill in the blank. Obtaining a straightforward number or other easily understood response.
2. Open ended: To avoid leading subject, to obtain wide range of responses in subject’s own words, or when you don’t know kinds of responses to expect.
3. Partially closed ended. List major response categories while leaving room for others.
4. Checklists: Allow subjects to check multiple responses. Categories exhaustive & mutually exclusive
6. Rank Ordering: To measure preferences or priorities. Limit to short lists.
7. Filter Question. To screen for eligibility or knowledge prior to asking other questions.
Did you stay overnight on your most recent trip?
If Yes, How many nights did you spend away from home? ________
To next question
8. Semantic Differential scale. Measure perception or image of something using a set of polar adjectives.
(Could repeat with cross country ski and snowmobiling and compare perceptions; or Coke and Pepsi.