310 likes | 679 Views
Learning a Foreign Language. I. Idea Catching. What does the writer want to tell us?. His experiences of learning English at different stages. WHAT?. How does he make clear his story?. HOW?. By cause and effect writing. II. Understanding Each Paragraph. difficult. rewarding.
E N D
I. Idea Catching What does the writer want to tell us? His experiences of learning English at different stages WHAT? How does he make clear his story? HOW? By cause and effect writing
II. Understanding Each Paragraph difficult rewarding junior middle school senior middle school college online learning
Para. 2 The kind and patient teacher often praised the students. Cause: I eagerly answered questions, not worrying about making mistakes. I was at the top of my class. Effect:
Para. 3 The new teacher quickly punished those who gave wrong answers. Cause: I lost my eagerness to answer questions and my desire to say anything in English. Effect:
Para. 4 Large classes made me only able to answer a couple of questions in each class period. Many students spoke much better than I did. Cause: I was afraid to speak. My English seemed to stay at the same level. Effect:
Para. 5-7 A uestions and nswers Q 1. What does online learning require? 2. Why did he carry a notebook with him? 3. Did he have any trouble learning online ? 4. Did he succeed in learning English? • It requires time, commitment and • discipline. 3. Sometimes he made many embarrassing mistakes, cried with frustration, felt like giving up. 4. Yes, he reaped the benefits of all the hard work. 2. He listed any new words he heard.
Para. 8 not trade the experience for anything else Effect: Causes: give me the value of hard work 1. ____________________________________ 2. ____________________________________ 3. ____________________________________ 4. ____________________________________ give me insights into another culture communicate with more people reach out to others and bridge the gap between my language and culture andtheirs
III. Summary Writing rewarding experiences Learning a foreign language was one of the most difficult yet most (有意义的经历) ____________ __________. Although at times, learning a language was frustrating, it was (非常有价值) ________ __________. In junior middle school, my foreign teacher (表扬) _________all of the students. I benefit a lot from this positive teaching method. In senior middle school, the teacher always（惩罚） ___________ those who gave incorrect answers. So I (失去乐趣) ____________in answering questions and my desire to say anything at all in English. In college, I had no __________ to speak in class. I well worth the effort praised punished lost my joy opportunity
Onlinelearning time commitment discipline feltintimidated. (网上学习) _______________ changed everything. Although it requires much _________, _____________and _________to keep up with the flow of the course, I succeeded in foreign language learning. Learning a foreign language has been a most (艰辛的的经历) _________________. I have gained _______ into another culture as well as the language points. trying experience insights
Notes to the Text Paraphrase Translation Analysis
1. Although at times, learning a language was frustrating, it was well worth the effort. (L2) Paraphrase Although at times, learning a language was disappointing, it was rewarding enough to spend the time and effort on it. 虽然学习一种语言时常遭遇挫折，但付出的努力却很值得。
2. Because of this positive method, I eagerly answered all the questions I could, never worrying much about making mistakes. (L6) Paraphrase Because of the effective and helpful method, I was very willing to answer all the questions I could, and I never worried about making mistakes. 由于这种积极的教学方法，我踊跃回答各种 问题，从不怕答错。
1) Difference between “because of” and “because” because of + sth./doing sth. because + a sentence She had to quit school because of ill health. He can not remember the new words because he never uses them. e.g.
2) “worrying about making mistakes”是现在分词短语作状语 e.g. When we climbed to the top of the tower, Climbing to the top of the tower, we saw a beautiful sight. Not wanting to meet John there, he refused to attend the party. Because he didn’t want to meet John there, Practice
现在分词—主动意义 1.分词 作状语 焦点记忆: 过去分词—被动意义 2. 分词的逻辑主语应与句子主语一致。 3. 分词有时也可有自己独立的逻辑主语，这时分词的逻辑 主语与句子的主语不一致，这种结构称为独立结构。 4. 现在分词在意思上与逻辑主语是主动关系， 而过去分词 与逻辑主语则为被动关系。 分词作状语时
现在分词用作状语：表示时间、原因、结果、条件、让步、方式或伴随状况现在分词用作状语：表示时间、原因、结果、条件、让步、方式或伴随状况 • Having finished his homework, he went to play football. • Being sick, I stayed at home. • He went out shutting the door behind him. • Because of the positive method, I eagerly answered all the questions I could, never worryingabout making mistakes. (Para.2) • He sat in the armchair,readingthe newspaper.
过去分词作状语：表示时间、原因、结果、条件、让步、方式或伴随状况过去分词作状语：表示时间、原因、结果、条件、让步、方式或伴随状况 • Born and bred in the countryside, he was bewildered by the big city. • He went into the building, followed by a man in black.
Make your choice and tell why: • His remarks left me ______ about his real purpose. A. wondered B. wondering • You will see this product ______ wherever you go. A. advertised B. advertising • All things______, the planned trip will have to be called off. B. considered A. considering
I. Word Using 1. frustrate (L2) v. ①to cause sb. to feel angry or disappointed Use it — Was there anything making you frustrated? — I was frustrated by… 近义、同义词 discourage disappoint upset annoy
1. frustrate (L2) —② to prevent someone’s plans, efforts from succeeding Translation The bad weather frustrated all our hopes of going out. Key 恶劣的天气使我们出门的希望化为泡影。
2. positive (L6) adj.①effective; helpful Translation 别只是看着，给我提些积极的建议吧。 Key Don’t just watch; give me some positive advice.
The most disabled person in the world is a negative thinker. 2. positive (L6) ②definite and clear collocation answers orders instructions proof/evidence attitude method positive 反义词 negative(消极的，负面的，否定的)
3. communicate (L29) v. exchange ideas Use it 1) How do deaf people communicate? They use... 2)When do you communicate with your parents? I communicate with my parents when… Tips 1) sign language; 2)... when I have trouble.../ can’t understand...
4. feel like doing (L37) want to do sth. Use it What do you feel like doing when tired? What do you feel like doing on weekends? Tips Enjoying music/doing light reading/…; going shopping/visiting my friends/having a picnic...
5. benefit (L42) n.advantage; good effect v. be helpful Use it What can you benefit from learning English? e.g. She has had the benefit of a first class education. Phrases for sb.’s benefit 为了……的利益 benefit from 得益于; be beneficial to 有助于
6. favorite (L49) a.most loved n. sth. that is loved above all others Use it What is your favorite music? What kind of movie is your favorite? Tips rock and roll/country music/classical music/folk songs...; detective story/science fiction/cartoon/ kongfu/love story... (More)
After-class assignments 1: Hand in post-reading exercises online. 2. Describe your problems in learning English. 3: Provide some good ways of learning English. 4: Look for proverbs concerning learning.