course introduction and two lane highway horizontal alignment l.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Course Introduction and Two-Lane Highway Horizontal Alignment PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Course Introduction and Two-Lane Highway Horizontal Alignment

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 12

Course Introduction and Two-Lane Highway Horizontal Alignment - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 221 Views
  • Uploaded on

Course Introduction and Two-Lane Highway Horizontal Alignment. Lecture 1: CE 578 Highway Traffic Operations. Course Topics. Highway traffic operations Two-lane highway emphasis (40%) Remainder on freeways (60%). Course Website. Address: www.webs1.uidaho.edu/ce578 Organization Syllabus

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Course Introduction and Two-Lane Highway Horizontal Alignment' - ostinmannual


Download Now An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
course introduction and two lane highway horizontal alignment

Course Introduction and Two-Lane Highway Horizontal Alignment

Lecture 1: CE 578 Highway Traffic Operations

course topics
Course Topics
  • Highway traffic operations
    • Two-lane highway emphasis (40%)
    • Remainder on freeways (60%)
course website
Course Website
  • Address: www.webs1.uidaho.edu/ce578
  • Organization
    • Syllabus
    • Schedule
    • Assignments
    • Course materials
    • Evaluation
course website cont
Course Website (cont.)
  • Purpose: course materials delivery
    • Assignments
    • Solutions
    • Class reading
    • Announcements
    • Software files
    • Class policy
    • Exam schedule
course grading
Course Grading
  • A≥90%; 90%>B ≥80%;80%>C ≥70%; 70%>D ≥60%; 60%>F
  • Grade is based on:
    • Projects (20%)
    • Twelve mini-exams (60%)
    • Final exam (20%)
    • Assignments not graded
horizontal alignment
Horizontal Alignment
  • Purpose: Review primary design elements
  • Objectives
    • Design circular curve alignment
    • Estimate design speed of circular curve
circular curve alignment
Circular Curve Alignment
  • Labels and Terms
    • Point of curvature (PC)
    • Point of tangency (PT)
    • Point of intersection (PI)
    • Curve length (L)
    • Curve Radius (R)
    • External angle (Δ)
    • Tangent (T)
circular curve equations
Circular Curve Equations
  • Tangent
  • Curve length
  • Station of PC and PT
circular curve design speed
Circular Curve Design Speed
  • Side friction (fs)
  • Curve radius (R)
  • Gravity constant (g)32.2 ft/sec2
  • Superelevation (e)
circular curve design speed10
Circular Curve Design Speed
  • Maximum Side friction standard values (AASHTO Green Book (pp. 147)
circular curve design speed11
Circular Curve Design Speed
  • Superelevationexpressed as rise over run

A

1 ft

e

A

A

A

Plan View

Cross-Sectional View

assignment
Assignment
  • Horizontal curve alignment (circular)
    • Verify the following are correct for a given design on US 12 at curves with PC 242+86.8 and PC 283+01.7, given the curve radius, curve PC, and external angle
      • PI (not shown in plans),
      • T,
      • PT, and
      • L.
  • Estimate the design speed for the above curves, given the plan sheet superelevations and radius (note: superelevation for the first curve is 0.1’/ft)