NEW YORK THE BIG APPLE THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
The Big Apple • The name „Big Apple“ symbolizes the success. • It has ever been used, first by writers and then my Jazz musician
The five districts/ boroughs ● (1) Manhattan ● (2) Brooklyn, ● (3) Queens, ● (4) The Bronx, ● (5) Staten Island
1) Manhattan • = New Yorks County • = Manhattan Island • In the north there is the Harlem River, in the east there is the East River and in the west there is the Hudson River • Is the real center of NY • Only one million people live there, but more than five million people work there.
2) Brooklyn • = Kings County • Has the highest population of all the districts of NY • The name „Brooklyn“ originally comes from „Breukelen“ which is a city in the Netherlands
3) Queens • = Queens County • In Queens there are the two biggest airports • John F. Kennedy International Airport • LaGuardia Airport
4) The Bronx • = Bronx County • It has its name from Jonas Broncks who came from Sweden and was the first settler there. • It is the only district which is not on an island
5) Staten Island • = Richmond County • „Todt Hill“ is the highest point there and in NY • In former times all the waste was taken to this island and now it is really very stinky there.
1) Statue of Liberty • = the landmark of New York • is also called „Miss Liberty“ or „Lady Liberty“ • was a present from the French • It is 102 meters with the pedestal • In the pedestal there is a musuem
2) The Empire State Building • It is, with 381m, the highest building. • It played an important role in many famous films, e.g. Independence day or King Kong
3) Central Park • Is the most important and the biggest park in NY. • It is also called the green lungs of NY • There are always many special events like night-inline skating • There is a zoo and a museum in the park • In the middle there‘s the big lake „Jacqueline-Kennedy-Reservoir“.
4) Ground Zero • This is the place were the Twin Towers were. • On the 11th September they were destroyed by some terrorists. • The Twin Towers were the fincial heart of NY • World Trade Centre
5) Yankee Stadion • It is located in the Bronx • Baseball,football and basketball are the most famous sports
Public transport • 1) Yellow cabs • The streets are all straight and have only got numbers and the direction east and west • Most people (50 000 a day) in NY go by taxi because traffic is very bad and the tolls (Gebühren) are very high. • 2) Subway • The NY subway is one of biggest in the world • It‘s open 24h a day
The Weather • In summer • It is very, very hot • In winter • It can be very cold
Thanks for your attention! Have a nice day