CBM in Reading. Develop Measures Administration Scoring Graphic Display Analysis of Graphic Display Error Analysis Implications for Instruction. CBM Oral Reading Fluency. For students in Infant and early standard
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Analysis of Graphic Display
Implications for Instruction
(kids don’t read faster than they can understand what it is that they are reading)
(usually random selection from
materials used in class:
font, passage style)
1. Quiet setting
2. Individual administration
3. Unnumbered passage to student
4. Numbered passage for administrator
5. Stopwatch or (sweep second hand on watch)
6. Say, "Start reading here." (point to the title of the story).
7. Say "begin" and start your stopwatch when the student says the first word.
8. Follow along on the examiner copy of the passage, marking the words that are read incorrectly. Use the markings for error types as best you can.
9. If a student comes to the end of a passage before the time is up, point to the beginning of the passage and say to the student, "start again."
10. At the end of one minute (60 seconds) say, "stop" and place a bracket ( ] ) after the last word read.
“When I say 'begin,' start reading aloud at the top of the page.
Try to read each word. If you come to a word you don't know,
I'll tell it to you. Be sure to do your best reading. Do you have
If desired administrators may provide some background information:
“You are going to read this story titled I Want to be Big Now
out loud. This story is about a girl named June who wants to play.
In order to play she thinks she needs to be big. Read this story
until I say stop. If you come to a word you don't know, I'll tell it to you.
Show me your best reading.”
Describe the data points for this student in relation to the AIMLINE
Describe the types of errors this student is making in the close materials.
Collect more data
Increase the goal for this student
Sound Multi- Irregular Word Rule Other
Comb. syllabic Endings Based
Adapted from Carnine, Silbert, & Kameenui, (1997)
Example wordlist - new skill ou
• 10 - 15 words • 50% new skill
• 1st three words new skill • 2 min. different pairs
Passage Reading Procedures
Call onindividualstudents to read a few sentences
Maintainpositive interactions, interest in story etc. (you may make comments)
Monitor closely, all students should have eyes on text and following along (you may want to require fingers under each word, depending on skill level [not age]).
Model occasionally, listdemonstrate the type of reading you have as a goal for your learners (not as well as you can read)
Vary reading order of students,predictability will facilitate “off-task” behavior.
Be prepared to correct,provide correct information, student repeat, direct reader to beginning of sentence to reread and continue.