Chapter 5: Brainwashing?. RELS 225 Cults and New Religious Movements. Why Brainwashing ?. parents deprogrammers. IS it a real?. if real: public health risk if false: infringement of rights theoretically implausible no longer legally defensible.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Cults and New Religious Movements
1. social-psychological influence
2. Target recruits
3. Deceptive recruiting
4. Pressure recruits
5. recruits not left alone
6. recruits kept busy, and deprived
7. isolated environments
9. "confessional" activities
10. sensory deprivation
12. Transform identity
1. Lump cults together
2. ideological bias
3. Would only brainwashed join NRMs?
4. contradictory ideas of psychology and human nature
5. anecdotal evidence
6. no proof NRMs held people against their will
7. sampling bias
8. self-descriptions by “apostates".
9. shortage of information
10. NRM members are not susceptible to brainwashing
11. studies lack safeguards
12. NRMs conversions are not unique