Using Polymers. Lesson Objectives. By the end of the lesson you will be able to: Recall some common polymers and their uses. Describe environmental problems associated with using plastics. Relate chemical structure of polymers to their properties and uses. Finding out about polymers.
By the end of the lesson you will be able to:
In your groups you need to find out the following information from the fact sheet you have been given:
1) What is the monomer used to make the polymer?
2) What is the polymer used for?
3) How does the structure of the polymer help it do its job?
4) Is it recyclable?
5) What are the environmental issues?
Use the diagram to explain why polythene is flexible
Use the diagram to explain why Bakelite is rigid
Why does polythene melt when heated?
Why does Bakelite not melt when heated?
Why is Bakelite used to make a) ashtrays
b) electric plugs?
6. Why is polythene used to make a) carrier bags