3. THE E M K I N
4. What is the Mystery of Engineers are using software for which limitations have been documented.
Engineers are designing structures without fully understanding the limitations of the software analysis tools they are using.
5. Many have not listened…
6. For more than 29 years the comparisons have been difficult. Until Now…
7. The Emkin Files now brings you two illustrations of some significant differences.
We used the Structural Desktop program to translate files and run them through parallel analysis.
Original Bracing Layout
A Look at Load Distribution and Torsion in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th Stories
Double & Single-Story Bracing Results
Base Shear Comparison
Limitations of RISAFloor & RAM Steel Type Programs
14 STORY BUILDING
14. Cable Pavilion Structure –
Base ~ 40 meters square
Tower Height ~ 25 meters
Comparisons based on selfweight only
21. TRUST NO ONE
22. TRUST NO ONE Our first responsibility is to the public safety.
The Stamping Engineer is 100% responsible.
23. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
24. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE Good engineering practice is finding the true answer, not just getting an answer.
Understanding your software is a requirement, not an option.
All software is NOT created equal.
25. I WANT TO BELIEVE
26. I WANT TO BELIEVE …that the structural engineering profession has the integrity that we must have to fulfill our commitment to the public trust.
27. The Emkin Files is one means to assist our fellow structural engineers to accomplish this goal.
28. Special Thanks to: Dr. Leroy Emkin
29. And, of course, to: