Welcome! Please sit with your group members
Discipleship Road Map Mission Strategy
The Main Thing • WIN: • Inviting college students into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church. • BUILD: • Inspiring and equipping them • SEND: • for a lifetime of Christ-centered • Evangelization, Discipleship, & Friendships • in which they lead others to do the same. • SPIRIT. • MULT:
Where are we going? COURSE OBJECTIVE: To use the roadmap to call people into relationship with Jesus and His mission, and repeat the teaching process for others.
Where are we going? Page 41 & 43
Discipleship Road Map “It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.” (John 15:16)
Discipleship Road Map CCC 3 “Those who with God’s help have welcomed Christ’s call and freely responded to it are urged on by love of Christ to proclaim the Good News everywhere in the world.”
Mark 4: 14-20 “The sower sows the word.These are the ones on the path where the word is sown. As soon as they hear, Satan comes at once and takes away the word sown in them.And these are the ones sown on rocky ground who, when they hear the word, receive it at once with joy.But they have no root; they last only for a time. Then when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away...
Mark 4: 14-20 “Those sown among thorns are another sort. They are the people who hear the word,but worldly anxiety, the lure of riches, and the craving for other things intrude and choke the word, and it bears no fruit.But those sown on rich soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.”
Mark 4: 14-20 • What word or phrase caught your attention? • What type of soil represents you? • What is Jesus saying to you in this passage?
CCC 1816“The disciple of Christ must not only keep the faith and live on it, but also profess it, confidently bear witness to it, and spread it: 82Service of and witness to the faith are necessary for salvation: “So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”83
Teach It! God desires that we bear fruit in his kingdom. Walk through the Scripture and exercise
Teach It! Applying the Discipleship Road Map Walk through the 5 phases and the questions with those whom you are teaching.
Part IWhy do I need a map? • Jesus desires that we bear fruit • Many of us need direction
Road Map Where am I going?
Road Map Where am I going? 2. How do I get there?
Road Map Where am I going? Bearing fruit
Road Map How to get there… Incremental Growth
Part IIFive Principles of the DRM What the Discipleship Road Map is… …and what it is NOT(Page 42) (Taken from FOCUSequip > Leader Resources)
1. God’s Grace The Road Map is simply a tool to help someone in his walk with Jesus; it is not meant to define someone’sentire relationship with God. God’s grace is the primary reason for growing.
2. Sharing the Vision a. The Road Map allows someone to understand the importance of Jesus’ mission. Jesus commanded us to “Go, and make disciples of all nations.” (Matthew 28:19)
2. Sharing the Vision b. Therefore, the best time to share the roadmap is when someone has made a commitment or re-commitment to Jesus.
3. Self- Selection Don’t make assumptions. Allow this to be a prayerful time. After all, it’s not about me! Let them read over the Road Map and determine for themselves where they are and where they want to be.
4. Accountability Once someone identifies where they want to be, you can shape your actions in this direction. Now discipleship is centered around getting them to the next level in their walk with Jesus Christ and the Great Commission.
5. Incremental Growth The Discipleship Road Map is about taking incremental steps in our discipleship with Jesus.
NOTE This approach to discipleship is one way of many to bear fruit… not the ONLY way.
Teach It! Understanding the Road Map What it is, and what it isn’t. Walk through these concepts.
Page 46 Exercise
Teach It! • Each trained teacher will teach a small group • 2 Trainers = 2 groups; 3 Trainers = 3 groups • Spend some time preparing together
Page 47 Teach It!Descramble Exercise • God desires that we bear fruit in his kingdom. Share Scripture. • Understanding the Road Map- What it is, and what it isn’t. • Applying the Road Map- walking through the 5 steps. • Self-Reflection- Where do I stand, and where does God desire me to be? • Walk through it individually with someone else - guiding and asking questions.
Teach It! AnswersPart I (20 min) 1. God desires that we bear fruit in his kingdom. Share Scripture. 2. Walk through it individually with someone else- guiding and asking questions. 3. Self-Reflection- Where do I stand, and where does God desire me to be?
Teach It! AnswersPart II (10 min) 4. Understanding the Road Map- What it is, and what it isn’t. (fill in the blank)
Teach It! AnswersPart III (10 min) 5. Applying the Road Map- Walking through the five steps (2 New Attributes Exercise)
Discipleship Road Map “Go, and bear fruit that will remain...” (John 15:16)