The Diary of Anne Frank (the play) Week 1. UNIT GOAL: TSWBAT analyze a play in order to understand a significantly historical event. Bellwork: 11/27/2012. Pass up your Thinking Maps and Compare and Contrast Essays. Take out a sheet of paper and head it appropriately. DRAW A KWL CHART.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
TSWBAT analyze a play in order to understand a significantly historical event.
1. Anne Frank
2. Margot Frank: her older sister
3. Mr. Frank: their father
4. Mrs. Frank: their mother
5.Miep: worker in Mr. Frank’s business; Dutch
6. Peter Van Daan
7. Mr. Van Daan: his father
8. Mrs. Van Daan: his mother
9. Mr. Dussel: a dentist
10. Mr. Kraler: worker in Mr. Frank’s business; Dutch
Pretend you had one hour to prepare to go into hiding. You can NEVER return to your home. You cannot carry a suitcase; it would be obvious you were going into hiding. It is winter; therefore, it is VERY cold outside and there is limited food where you are going. What items would you take with you? How would you disguise these items and how would you carry them?
1. A flashback interrupts a story to take you back to earlier times and events. Most of this play is told in an extended flashback, framed by the opening and closing scenes. Where in Scene 1 does the flashback begin? What do we learn about the characters and their basic situation before the flashback begins?
2. When does Anne begin to understand what going into hiding will mean? Describe some of the ways life in the Secret Annex is different from life outside.
3. Sounds from outside the Secret Annex play an important part in the play. Some remind us of ordinary life in the city. Others punctuate the scene with reminders of the danger outside. List four of the sounds heard so far. Which sounds are pleasant? Which are threatening?
4. List the conflicts that have developed among the characters by the end of Scene 3. Why are these conflicts dangerous for the people in the Secret Annex? What other conflicts do you predict might arise?