1. How did revolution affect Cuba? • First: Economy, Health Care & Literacy improved • Later: Harsh dictatorship violated basic rights
2. Why did the U.S. support the invasion? • U.S. relations w/ Cuba had gone sour. Based mainly on Castro’s communist ties.
3. How was the Cuban Missile Crisis resolved? • U.S. blockade of Cuba, troops put on alert • Khrushchev removes missiles w/ U.S. promise not to invade Cuba
4. What were the consequences of civil war for Nicaragua? • A weakened economy & Political unrest
5. Why did the Ayatollah Khomeini hate the United States? • The U.S. had supported the Shah & the westernization of Iran
6. What part did the U.S. play in this Muslim war? • Secretly sold arms to Iran (Iran - Contra Affair)
7. How was the Soviet involvement in Afghanistan similar to U.S. involvement in Vietnam? • Both were long, costly wars • Superpowers overpowered by rebel forces