Download
flight safety and weather n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Flight Safety and Weather PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Flight Safety and Weather

Flight Safety and Weather

181 Views Download Presentation
Download Presentation

Flight Safety and Weather

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Flight Safety and Weather

  2. Flight Safety and Weather • The responsibility for flight safety is YOU, the pilot • Clear sky and light wind does not mean it will be that way • One hour from now • 50 miles from here • 1,000 ft AGL

  3. Weather Related Accidents • The following data are from the FAA’s National Aviation Safety Data Analysis Center (NASDAC), Office of Aviation Safety, Flight Standards Service and are based on NTSB accident data. • Data from all accidents, the majority non-fatal • http://www.asias.faa.gov/aviation_studies/weather_study/studyindex.html

  4. 19,562 total accidents 4,159 (21.3%) weather related Main cause = wind

  5. Nearly 87% or 7 out of 8 of these involved general aviation operations General Aviation GA Commuter Ag Air carrier

  6. Georgia weather-related fatalities (NWS) • http://www.srh.noaa.gov/topics/attach/html/ssd02-18.htm • Looked at NTSB data from 2,312 GA fatal accidents in the US during 1995-2000 • Weather a factor in 697 or 30% of all GA fatalities • A similar study by AOPA showed an average of 35% but declining • Weather a bigger factor in FATAL accidents than for non-fatal

  7. NTSB cited NWS weather support to be a contributing factor in only two (0.3%) of the 697 weather-related fatal accidents. • NTSB cited FSS support to be a factor in only five (0.7%) of the accidents. • NTSB cited inadequate ATC support only nine times (1.3%) • Combined, NWS, FSS and ATC = 2.3% • Pilot error accounted for remaining 97.7%

  8. Fatal Georgia accidents