WARM UP #5 1/31. What is entomology? What is odontology? THINKING: 3. Think of reasons why witnesses are not always reliable for helping with a case. 4. What percent of the time do you think witnesses get things wrong? 5. Why do you think that forensics is needed?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
3. Think of reasons why witnesses are not always reliable for helping with a case.
4. What percent of the time do you think witnesses get things wrong?
5. Why do you think that forensics is needed?
2. Physical evidence
(25-45% time wrong)
- 36% IDed a person next to the attacker
- 23 % IDed a person not there
- 40% got it right
(eyes can trick you too)
4. Hard to id different race / gender details
What we think we see and what we really see might not be the same
Your eyes are making them move. To test this, stare at one spot in each picture for a few seconds and everything will stop moving
Most people only see about 3-5 seconds of a crime scene!
Started in 1992
Reopen cases where people claimed they were innocent and the main evidence was eyewitness testimony
Use DNA evidence to give conclusive proof
* 174 out of 200 cases where eyewitness testimony was the main reason for conviction were exonerated (cleared)!!!
Several were in jail over 15 years!
2 How many blue?
3 How many red?
4 How many in squares?
1. What color coffee mug was in the picture? Blue Red Yellow
2. When was the deadline? Yesterday Today Tomorrow
3. What time was on the clock on the wall? 10:40 11:05 1:55
4. How many sticky notes were on the whiteboard? Four Six Eight
5. Which of the following was NOT in the picture? Stapler Trash Can Printer
6. What was the name on the plaque on the desk? Bill Brian Carl
7. What color was the victim's shirt? Black Blue Red
8. How many plants were in the picture? None One Two
9. What was the color of the marker in the desk drawer? Red Blue Green
10. Where was the book in the picture? On a box In the trash can Under the body
Get out a scrap sheet of paper and put your pencil/ pen down
You will get 10 seconds to look at the items
You will write as many as you remember when done.