Material • Energy, information and material are three pillars of development of modern society. • Materials can be classified according to its composition and characteristics: • 1）inorganic material: metallic material, ceramic material, inorganic glass • 2）polymer material: synthetic polymer (plastic, synthetic fibre, synthetic rubber), other functional polymers • 3）composite material: combination of technical ceramic or polymer materials, resulting in superior properties.
Chapter 1: new inorganic material New metallic material 1. Common alloy • Steel • Aluminum alloys • copper alloys
2. Special alloy • Corrosion-resistant alloy • Thermal-resistant alloy
3. Advanced alloy materials • Shape Memory Alloys • Heat-resistant alloys • Hydrogen storing alloys • Magnetic alloys
Chaper 2:Inorganic non-metallic material——Ceramic material • Classical ceramic • Fine ceramic • Nano ceramic
2. Fine Ceramic Definition: Made from fine grade material, with precisely controlled chemical composition. It is manufactured and processed with ease for structural design, control. It is ceramic with superior properties. • High-temperature structural ceramics • Transparent ceramics • Heat resistant, high strength, high tensile strength ceramics • Bio-ceramics • Electronic ceramics • Superconducting ceramics
3. Nano-ceramics • Nano-technology • Most material is in solid form • particles are in the size of micro metre 10-6 or even nano metre (10-9) • With great number of particles, surface area is great. A large proportion of atoms are on the surface of the particles • Nano materials thus have uncommon surface effect, peripheral effect and quantum effects, resulting in a series of unique properties.
Chaper 2 Synthetic polymer material(organic synthetic material) • Based on the concept of polymer • Traditional synthetic polymer including plastic, fibre, rubber etc.
1. Functional polymer • Electric conducting polymer • Medical polymer • Biodegradable polymer • Water absorbing polymer
Artificial organ Medical polymer material Artificial heart Silica gel, polyurethane rubber Artificial blood vessel Silica gel ,poly(ethylene terephthalate)(PET) Artificial air duct Organosilicon rubber,Polyethylene Artificial kidney Acetyl cellulose,polyester fiber Artificial nose Polyethylene, Organosilicon rubber Artificial lung Polytetrafluroethylene, polycarbonic ester,Polypropylene Artificial bone acrylic resin,Phenolics Artificial muscle Silica gel ,polyester fiber Artificial skin Silica gel , polypeptide Medical polymer materials and their usages
Chapter 3: Composite materials • Fiber-reinforced resin-type composite material • Glass steel • Carbon-fiber reinforced resin • Other fiber-reinforced plastics • Fiber reinforced metallic-type composite material • Fiber reinforced ceramic-type meterial