Unit 2 Using language – Reading and writing A Biography of Isaac Asimov A science fiction writer
Who’s the original writer of “Satisfaction Guaranteed”? Isaac Asimov
Skimming: Glance through the passage and then find out the answers to the following questions: • Which paragraph tells you when and where Asimov was born and died? • Which paragraph tells you about his education? • Which paragraph tells you about awards he received? Para.2 Para.3 Para.5
Scanning: Read through the text and then find out the answers to the following questions: • What subject did Asimov teach? • When did he start having stories published? • How many children did he have? He taught biochemistry. In 1939. Two children, a son and a daughter.
Careful-reading: • Read about Isaac Asimov and complete the timeline of the events in his life. • Date Event • Born in Russia. • ___________. • ___________________________. • Parents bought a candy store. • ___________________________. • Mother had her third child. • ____ Started to take himself seriously as a writer. • ________________________________ • ________________________________. Sister born Moved with family to New York Started working in a candy store 1931 Began having stories published in science fiction magazines
Date Event • ____ Gained Master’s degree in chemistry. • Finished working in the candy store. • ________________. • 1942-1945 _____________________________. • ____ Got PhD in chemistry. • ____ Became a biochemistry teacher, Boston • University School of Medicine. • Published his first novel. • _____________ . Developed three laws • for robots. 1941 Got married Worked as junior chemist, Philadelphia Navy Yard 1948 1949 Published “I, Robot”
Date Event • 1951-1953 Published “The Foundation Trilogy” and • won an award for it. • _____ Published first science book • _____ Became a full-time writer. • Divorced his first wife. • __________________________. • _____ Had a blood transfusion. Became infected • with HIV. • 1992 ________________________. 1953 1958 Married for a second time 1983 Died in New York
Discuss: Asimov’s Laws For Robots First Law : A robot must not injure human beings or allow them to be injured. Second Law : A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings (as long as human being are not injured ). Third Law : A robot must protect its own existence (as long as human beings are not injured; and as long as the robot does not disobey the human beings).
Discussion: 1. Which set of laws do you think is better? why? 2. Which law is the story “Satisfaction Guaranteed” based on ? 3. What might happen in a world where there were robots if Asimov’s three laws did not exist.
Language Points 1. A Biography of Isaac Asimov biography n.传记 bio(尤其供公开发表的)个人简历(biography的缩写) bio cards传记档案卡; bio information传记资料 bio-表示“生命, 生物”之义 biophysics生物物理学 biochemistry n.生物化学
2. an American scientist and writer 一位科学家兼作家 is / was The singer and dancer _______( be ) coming for a visit . are/ were The singer and the dancer __________(be) Coming for a visit . is / was A knife and fork _______ ( be ) on the desk . 3. fiction : stories / novels ,etc which describe events and people do not exist non-fiction : writing that is about real people ,events and facts literature: writing that is considered to be work of art , including novels ,plays and poetry
4. search + 地方 / 人 表示在某地/某人身上寻找/搜寻 search for 寻找某物 = search + place + for + object in search of 寻找,作状语,表示目的 The enemies _____________the Red Army man everywhere . They have ____________ the whole city _______the missing boy . The boy has been to many places _____________his lost cat . searched searched for in search of
5. From 1942 to 1948 he worked as a junior chemist … junior adj. younger , lower in rank 较年轻的/职位稍低的 He is the junior employee in the firm . He is two years junior to me. senior:older; higher in rank较年长的；职位稍高的 He is two years senior to me. senior citizens 老人
6. he started to take himself seriously as a writer. take sb/ sth seriously: regard sb/ sth as important and worth treating with respect认真对待某人／某事 He takes things too seriously.他对事太认真了。 You can’t take her promises seriously; she never keeps her word. If you can’t treat your study seriously, you will fail in the coming examination. ▲反义词：take … for granted认为…是理所当然的，想当然，不把…当回事
7. Soon after his divorce in 1973, … divorce n.: legal ending of a marriage离婚, 脱离 vt.: put an end to a marriage by law使离婚, 与...脱离 ask for a divorce; get divorced; divorce … from His wife asked for a divorce. They got divorced last year. They are divorcing each other. She divorced her husband two years ago. We shouldn’t divorce theory from practice.
8. award ( vt / n ) honour / prize / reward He won the __________for the best student of year . It ‘s an ___________to hear you speak so highly of me . He won the Nobel _________for literature . He got a ________of $ 100 for helping them. award honour Prize reward
Writing 1. Collocation • Make up your mind what achievement you want to make in your life. Then go over the text, trying to recognize the collocations, study the organization of the text and pay attention to phrases and sentences describing time order and achievements.
3.Write your own story with the collocations from “A Biography of ---”, trying to use the following Chronological (按年代顺序排列的)Sequence Chronological Sequence ---’s life began in --- where he/she was born on--- It ended in --- on ---when When he/she was --,--- for the next – years, At the age of --, --- until---,---- From – to --, --- the next year,--- It was when --- was – years old that his/her talent- Throughout his/her life,---- ---lasted – years, soon after---
Homework Complete the biography of your own. Goodbye!
Assignment Finish the Reading Task in the workbook. This is the end of unit2 Thanks for your concentration!