INTERTANKO Vetting Seminar. Tanker Officer Training Standards (TOTS) 16 th May 2007 Capt Howard N. Snaith Director, Marine, Ports, Terminals, Environmental & Chemical Section INTERTANKO. TOTS Historical Background. The Vetting Committee (TOTS Working Group) has concluded Stage 1:
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
INTERTANKO Vetting Seminar Tanker Officer Training Standards (TOTS) 16th May 2007 Capt Howard N. Snaith Director, Marine, Ports, Terminals, Environmental & Chemical Section INTERTANKO
TOTS Historical Background • The Vetting Committee (TOTS Working Group) has concluded Stage 1: • “Aimed to provide a coordinated response by INERTANKO that will create a commonality of standard & ease compliance. • Council endorsed approach (March 2007).
Stage 1 Completed Stage 1: • Summarise the concept of TOTS. • Clearly Demonstrates Improved Standards • Shows how it will fill the experience gap. • Shows how it can be built into what exists today. • Shows how it fits into TMSA and how TMSA can be used as part of the verifying process. • Shows there is “no” conflict or duplication of effort. • Summarises how the system will work in practice.
Overview Five Elements to review: 1. Officer Entry Level (Core Competency) 2. Statutory (Dangerous Cargo Endorsements) 3. Company Based System Rank/Company Specific 4. Shore Based Company Technical Assessment of the Candidate 5. Ship Specific Practical Simulator Verification
1. Officer Entry Level Core Competency • Tanker Familiarisation Course: IMO Model Course 1.01 (currently under review by the IIG & IMO); Expansion & Enhancement. • Core competency based entry standard for an officer coming into the tanker industry.
2. Statutory (Dangerous Cargo Endorsements) STCW Reg V/1 2.2 Indicates where the DCE fits into TOTS and TOTS is “not” an alternative to the Dangerous Cargo Endorsement.
3. Company Based Rank/Company/Ship Specific (TOTS). Record Book Based Modules in this section: 1. Command Module (Master and Chief Officer) 2. Senior Officer Tanker Module (Engine) 3. Junior Officer Tanker Module (Deck and Engine)
3. Company Based Rank/Company/Ship Specific (TOTS). Sections will cover: • “Time with Company” -Company Specific Familiarity Section : • Company operating Systems and ISM Procedures. • Reporting and Operating Procedures • Options for Safety Quality Riding team • Open Question Techniques • Company PMS
3. Company Based Rank/Company/Ship Specific (TOTS). 2. “Time in Rank” - Rank Specific Duties: • Operations (Deck/Engine) • Deck/Engine/Command/Management • Consequences on None Compliance • Open Question Techniques • Options for Quality Riding Team
3. Company Based Rank/Company/Ship Specific (TOTS). Conversion Elements Two conversion elements enables conversion from junior officer to: • Senior Officer Module (Engine) or • Command Tanker Module
3. Company Based Rank/Company/Ship Specific (TOTS). Verification of System at Company level (TMSA 3A Stage 4.0,3B Stage 3.4 & 6A Stage 4.2) TOTS scheme Company Based; • Voluntary System. • Demonstrate commitment from the company. • Will improve Standards • Onboard monitoring Systems • Open Question Techniques • Aims to provide underpinning
4. Shore Based Company Technical Assessment of the candidate In-house company run technical verification process (1-2 day assessment?) Formal assessment of the “Time with the company” sections i.e. familiarity with company systems and requirements
5. Ship Specific Practical Simulator Verification (IMO Model Course 2.06 as base). ..But developed to be tanker type specific. The training and experience gained in sections 1, 2 and 3, is practically verified by simulator based training. Segregated into different ship types: • Crude Oil Module • Product Module • Chemical Module
TOTS Pictogram Appendix 1 INTERTANKO - Tanker Officer Training Standards (TOTS) 3. Company Based Rank/Ship Specific Onboard Experience 5. Ship Specific Practical Simulator Verification 1. All Officers Entry Level 2. Statutory (TOTS) 4. Company (TMSA 3A Stage 4.0) Core Competancy Statutory Training (TMSA 3A Stage 4.0) Technical (TMSA 6A Stage 4.2) Training STCW Reg V/1 2.2 (TMSA 3B Stage 3.4) Verication STCW Section B-V/1 Para 1-4 & 7-14 STCW Reg V/1 1.2 STCW Reg V/1 1.1 & 2.1 STCW Section B-V/1 Para 1-4 & 7-14 IMO Dangerous Cargo Command Tanker Module Special Tanker Procedures Module Endorsement (Master & Chief Officer) Crude Petroleum IMO Conversion Element Tanker Familarisation Model Course 1.01 IMO IMO Model Dangerous Cargo Senior Officer Tanker Module Special Tanker Procedures Module Course Shore Based Company Assessment Endorsement (Engine) Product 2.06 Chemical Conversion Element Conversion Element IMO Dangerous Cargo Junior Officer Tanker Module Special Tanker Procedures Module Endorsement (Deck & Engine) Chemical Petroleum 4. Company 5. Verification 1. Statutory 2. Statutory 3. Company Training Training