Chapter 6. Physical Database Design. Introduction. The purpose of physical database design is to translate the logical description of data into the technical specifications for storing and retrieving data.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Physical Database Design
Consider this table:
EMPLOYEE(E_ID, Name, Salary_Grade, Phone)
Where E_ID is the primary key
And the domain for Salary_Grade is 1, 2, 3 or 4.
1. Use on larger tables.
2. Index the primary key of each table.
3. Index search fields.
4. Fields in WHERE clause of SQL commands.
5. When there are >100 values but not when there are <30 values.
6. DBMS may have limit on number of indexes per table and number of bytes per indexed field(s).
7. Null values will not be referenced from an index.
8. Use indexes heavily for non-volatile databases; limit the use of indexes for volatile databases.