Energy and Work: Working Together. energy : the capacity to do work. Ch.9, Sec.1 – What Is Energy?. work is done when a force causes an object to move in the direction of the force. when one object does work on another, energy is transferred from the 1st object to the 2nd.
- all matter has atoms; therefore, all matter has energy!!!!!
KE = mv²
- m stands for mass in kilograms, v stands for the objects speed (the more speed & mass of an object means greater kinetic energy)
- gravitational potential energy can be found using the following formula:
GPE = weight x height
ME = PE + KE
- chemical energy is a form of potential energy because it depends on the position & arrangement of the atoms in the compound
- changing positions of magnets at power plants provides electrical energy (potential energy too)
- energy can be from fission where atoms can be split apart in the nucleus to create a lot of potential energy (uranium in the atomic bombs)