Marxism: Introduction. Class Relations, Capitalism and Commodification 2003 Spring. Outline. Starting Questions Focuses in this unit Marx “ Snowed Up ”. Starting Questions (1): Economic Determinism.
Class Relations, Capitalism and Commodification
Western Marxists : Althusser’s theory of Ideology & Gramsci’s Hegemony
American & British Marxism: Jameson and Eagleton
Dialectic Materialism, Class and Commodification
Literature & Society
Marxist Literary Criticism
Literature as DiscoureMarxism: Topics & Schools on Focus
2. Consequences: exploitation and alienation of laborers, exchange values over use values; reification(物化) and commodification of human relations
Example: Modern Times ; Bicycle Thief
2. “immiseration thesis” -- exploitation and alienation of laborers,
Note: Saunders argues that capitalism actually increases human wealth (of the poor and the rich alike) and improves human lives
What do you think?
3. Marx’s argument: State-owned properties Communism
(example: clips of The Greatest Thinker: Marx)
Use value Exchange values added to it;
Herbert Marcuse – capitalism creates our false needs, whereas our “real needs” are “repressively desublimated” in a one-dimensional world of commodities. (Cf. Saunders 79)
Ardorno: creates “massified” pseudo-identity
e.g. The Icicle Thief
The mode of production of material life conditions the social, political and intellectual life process in general.
Base as foundation, center
2. difference in age and appearance:
Lord Bilbrton "wizened", Mr. Alderman Thrigg "stout" and Aurelles "strong, tall, noble-looking"
3. order vs. Edie's giddy head
1) 1/4 Lord B: "poor shivering ancient body“
2) 1/5 "I shall perish with an angel!" Mr. Thrigg is not good at using metaphors; Bilberton, silly with fright. Papa, cynical. * Mr. Thrigg as one trying to help;
3) 1/6 Mr. Thrigg in despair and struggle (p. 23)
1/14 p. 24
4) 1/14 All the servants left but the maid, papa an invalid, Bilberton helpless; Thrigg trapped in snow; the arrival of Phillip p. 25
5) 1/15 eat the cat;
6) 1/17 Papa and the Alderman may die. Philip is the only one active to get food.
7) 1/18 the last try by Phillip
8) 1/19 a feast; The Alderman eats a long time.