Notable Emperors: The Early Roman Empire A.D. 14-180
1. ___ Accession C • The Act of coming into a high office.
2. ___ Auxiliary F • Used as a reserve or Backup
3. ___ Colosseum H • Large Arena where Gladiatorial fights were held.
4.___ Flavian Dynasty D • Vespasian and his 2 Sons
5. ___ Golden Age G • Period of the Roman Empire in the Second Century C.E.
6. ___ Hadrian’s Wall A • Built in Britian, it marked the northernmost extent of the Roman Empire.
7. ___ OptimusPrinceps E • Title Meaning “Best Ruler”
8.___ Vesuvius B • Volcano the buried Pompeii and Herculaneum
9. What was the New Imperial Palace that Nero built called? • A - Golden House
10. Which of these men was not one of the Five Good Emperors? • D - Domitian
11. Why was the second century C.E. regarded as the “Golden Age” of the Roman Empire? • The 2nd Century was known as the “Golden Age” because Trajan expanded the empire to its largest extent. He was able to pay for Public works. Hadrian strengthen Roman Boundaries in the west and north with defensive walls. He stabilized the empire. He also built public buildings in the provinces. Marcus Aurelius was a philosopher-king and worked to defend the borders.
Using an Atlas and the map below find and list all the modern-day countries that would have been included in the Roman Empire at its greatest extent in C.E. 120