What does “IACUC” stand for?. Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. IACUCs are required by…. Federal Law (Animal Welfare Act) Regulations - United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Policies - Public Health Service (PHS). What are the IACUC’s responsibilities?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- USDA- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Health and Human Services (HHS) Public Health Service (PHS)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Scientists Center for Animal Welfare (SCAW)
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- Association for the Accreditation and Assessment of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC, International)
- Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR)
- Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS)
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA)
USDA, PHS, OLAW and IACUCs are concerned with the safe, appropriate and humane use of animals for agricultural and biomedical research and teaching. Our charge is animal welfare.
Many animal rights groups are based upon the philosophical views of individuals who are opposed to the production or consumption of animals for food, and the use of animals for research, education, transportation, recreation, or exhibition. Some of these groups are even opposed to pet ownership.
Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
USDA Inspection Reports
Minutes of IACUC meetings
Animal Care Program reviews
Facility inspection reports
Federal funding (USDA, NIH, PHS, etc.) could be withdrawn from an institution found to be noncompliant with the AWA and federal regulations. The Animal Welfare Assurance Statement that NCSU has on file with OLAW assures the federal government that NCSU will comply with the AWA and all federal regulations.
- Reviews and approves, or disapproves proposed animal use; monitors conditions of animal housing and use areas through facility inspections; conducts semiannual program reviews; reports to the Institutional Official
How long does it take to get IACUC approval?
The answer is, “It depends……”
NCSU IACUC Office
Campus Box 8401
Raleigh, NC 27695-8401
Email: [email protected]