ECOSEMIOTICS: MAIN IDEAS AND CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. Kalevi Kull, Timo Maran Department of Semiotics, University of Tartu. Towards the ecosemiotic paradigm. H ybrid nature of research objects Contact areas of ecology and semiotics (e.g. cybernetics and G. Bateson)
ECOSEMIOTICS: MAIN IDEAS AND CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS
Kalevi Kull, Timo Maran
Department of Semiotics, University of Tartu
(1) The structure of ecological communities is based on semiosic bonds.
(2) Changing sign can change the existing order. All living organisms change their environment on the basis of their own images.
(3) Semiosis regulates ecosystem. Meaning-making both stabilizes and destabilizes it.
(4) Human symbolic semiosis (with its capacity of decontextualization) and environmental degradation are deeply related.
(5) Energetically and biogeochemically, culture is a part of an ecosystem. Semiotically, culture is both a part and a metalevel of the semiosic ecological network.
(6) Narrative description is inadequate for the description of ecological semiosis.
(7) The concept of culture would be incomplete without an ecological dimension. A theory of culture would be incomplete without the ecosemiotic aspect.
Thank you !