Buddhism -Consciousness-only School 唯識宗. Hsuan-Tsang 玄奘 (596?602?-664). I. Sociopolitical influence more than theoretical influence Brought back huge amount of Buddhist works Translation of the works Introduction of Buddhist vocabularies to Chinese life
1-5: Five sense consciousnesses
(eye, ear, nose, tongue, body)
眼識，耳識，鼻識，舌識，身識 Third transformation 三能變
different spheres of externalworld the consciousness that discriminates
spheres of objects 了別境識
6: Sense-center consciousness
意識 (forms conceptions)
external world as a whole
7: Thought-center consciousness Second transformation 二能變
末那識 (wills and reasons) the consciousness that deliberates 思量
takes alaya as its object
8: Storehouse consciousness First transformation 初能變
阿賴耶識 alaya. It stores the seed the consciousness whose fruits
in flux, being influenced by (retribution) ripen at later times 異熟
the first 6 consciousnesses
and produces manifestations
Each consciousness is further analyzed into four functional portions: Objective, subjective, self-witnessing, rewitnessing.
Each consciousness is also divided into many sub-categories and elements.
Treatise on the Golden Lion華嚴金獅子章
Hundred Gates to the Sea of Ideas of the Flowering Splendor Scripture華嚴經義海百門
a) extrinsic parts and whole – a pile of potatoes.
b) functionally interrelated – an engine and the car.
c) the whole as an archetype and the parts as instances – a chair and "furniture."
d) a part reflects or contains its whole in some adumbrated sense – hologram.
Fa-zhang's Indra’s net example and the hall of mirrors (412).
1. From the relationship between substance/principle (the gold) and characters (the lion)
– The gold has no nature of its own. It shows itself through its form/characters, which is caused by the craftsman. Apart from the gold there is no character of the lion. The interpenetration of the substance and its characters. Neither obstruct the other.
– Each part of the substance (the gold, one, the principle) reflects all the other parts (the parts of the lion, many, dharma, the characters or facts), and all the other parts reflect this part.
– The difference between the substance and characters arises because when we look at the gold, there is no lion but gold, and when we look at the lion, there is no gold but the lion. When one is manifest the other is hidden. When we look at them both, they are both manifest and hidden. (7.5, p. 411-2)
2. From causal relation
– The way that the gold and the lion are formed is done through the mind. (7.10, p. 413)
– The lion (dharma) comes into existence and goes out of existence, linked by their causes. So instances of time (past, present, future) all contain each other. When one arises, all others arise. (7.9, p. 412)
Three pairs, all present in the gold lion.
When the holistic vision is attained, one reaches Nirvana.
1. Karma causation (业感缘起)
2. Causation by the storehouse consciousness (alaya) (赖耶缘起)
3. Causation by thusness (真如缘起)
4. Dharmadhatu causation (法界缘起)
1. What is the big point you learned in class today?
2. What is the main, unanswered question you leave class with today?